Oahu, Hawaii - 16 Nov 2007



I’ve rented a 2008 Ford Escape for the day, and Robin, Esther and I drove out to Pearl Harbor to visit the USS Arizona Memorial. But before doing so, had breakfast in the hotel restaurant and swear that a hummingbird buzzed right past us and out of the open door (most likely a bee, though, since hummers aren’t found on the island). Along the way we spotted the first of many Cattle Egrets in Kapiolani Park (between the Marriott and Diamond Head).
Arriving at the Memorial we spotted numerous Spotted Doves and Zebra Doves and saw our first Japanese White-eyes. Outside the memorial, on the lawn we had distant views of the Arizona Memorial and Battleship Missouri. I spotted a pair of Red-vented Bulbuls in one of the many palm trees lining the property. Shortly after, a tiny ‘waxbill’ was spotted on the grass. I got great images of it, but could not ID it using any of my Hawaii field guides. The gray body and red eyepatch are similar to the (5) Common Waxbills I saw along the shoreline, but the black bill and white lore spots did not match anything in the field guides. I’m guessing that it may be an immature Common Waxbill but will bow to the experts (later confirmed to be an immature Common Waxbill).
Looking out along the shoreline I spotted a Pacific Golden Plover, and attempted to walk across the parking lot to the adjacent park, but stopped short as a pair of Mongoose ran out onto the lawn and began to play. One appeared to be an adult and second a youngster. I managed several shots before they saw me and hightailed it back into the underbrush. As we continued to wait for our group number to be called I photographed a cooperative Common Myna on the lawn.

The USS Arizona Memorial is one of the most solemn tours we’ll ever take, and most visitors respect the silence that is observed aboard. I took several images of the placards, (2) and monuments, (2), (3), (4), left to the fallen soldiers at Pearl Harbor, including the leaking oil from the ship herself.

From Pearl Harbor we drove out to the Dole Plantation. I spotted a Pied-billed Grebe in a ditch along the way. At the Plantation I spotted several more Golden Plovers and a Black-crowned Night Heron but was frustrated that I couldn’t get a decent photograph of either. At the Plantation we took a short train ride around the grounds to see the pineapple fields and equipment used to prepare the land and harvest the fruit. After the tour we were visited by one of the resident Pea Fowl looking for a handout. I had no money so it went hungry….

After a quick drive to the North Shore of Oahu, where we enjoyed a few moments of the spectacular scenery, we backtracked to the ship. Out across from the Dole Plantation I spotted a soaring hawk. As it soared directly in front of the sun, I could not make out anything but a silhouette. But pointy wings and short, fanned tail suggests an immature Peregrine Falcon. Otherwise it is a Hawaiian Hawk, or IO. An unknown grouse flushed and flew across the front of the car, but again was not ID’d. Possibly a Gray Francolin.

Arriving back at the Hotel, I returned the rental car, and proceeded to hike toward Diamond Head Crater and the Honolulu Zoo. Along the way I spotted my first pair of Red-crested Cardinals. After photographing them I turned and found the most adorable African Grey (Parrot) in the lawn at my feet. A Japanese couple had it with them, and they allowed me take its picture. Further along the fence line I spotted a pair of Yellow-fronted Canaries, more Red-vented Bulbuls, (2), Japanese White-eyes, House Finches, and More Common Mynas. Across from Diamond Head I spotted a flock of Red-vented Bulbuls in a yard and several were courting/displaying. I got great pics and digiscoped images, (2), and even a video before they flew off. Returning to the Hotel I spotted several Java Sparrows through the fence of the zoo. Waikiki Beach was enjoying another gorgeous sunset, so I stopped for a few moments to enjoy it myself.