Screech Owl Baby - 09 Jun 2023

I've been watching the baby Eastern Screech Owls the past couple of nights. At about 9:15 pm the parents start flying into the box to feed the young ones. I'm a little concerned that I haven't seen the sibling as the one bird seems to get most of the food.

This evening I decided to try photographing the owlets from inside the field. I set the Sony a1 and 600/4 + 1.4TC at f/8, Auto-ISO 100-12,800 on tripod in middle of field. I was hoping to be able to trigger it with the remote from the deck, but the signal would not reach. So, I set up the spotting scope on the lawn and focused on the viewfinder to see the owls in the box. I could then see whether the autofocus button on the remote was working and see the frame captures. 

The system worked well, but owlet seemed a bit skittish and I didn't see the parents, so I pulled the rig once shutter speed dropped to 0.5". This was about 9:30 pm so hopefully the parents started coming in with food.









Brownton Abbey, 26340 Higgins Way, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jun 9, 2023 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
1 species

Eastern Screech-Owl (Megascops asio)  4     2 adults and 2 fledgelings in box in field behind house.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S158452951

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)