Grasshopper Sparrows in Antrim Co. - 13 July 2007































One of my favorite sparrows is the Grasshopper Sparrow. I had an hour or so on Friday, July 13, 2007 to watch a territorial Grasshopper Sparrow sing and chatter all about around an area approximately 20 yds. X 20 yds. This little fella did not like hearing another bird coming from my iBirdPod speaker and circled the area constantly, chattering in the grass, then popping up onto a mullein stalk and singing away. I found it surprising that it takes very little singing from another bird of the same species to provoke a bird on its territory. Curiously enough, other Grasshopper Sparrows in the area were not alarmed by the call notes played on the iBirdPod. Needless to say, I made sure not to upset the little fella by playing its song once it started becoming agitated. After a few circlings of its territory it returned to its posts, which included a solitary pine tree, and numerous mullein stalks.