Chimney Swifts! - 16 Aug 2015


I'd been waiting for them to arrive since Robin and I moved here to Brownton Abbey in early May. I've seen the Tree Swallows, Barn Swallows, and even Northern Rough-winged Swallows, but until this evening I had not had the pleasure of seeing the "flying cigars".  So, when Asia and I went outside and enjoyed the evening's quiet while lounging in the grass, I looked up and saw a massive flock of Chimney Swifts swirling overhead. At least 100 birds were moving over the trees near West Road and were moving our way.

I ran into the house and grabbed the camera, and for the next hour or so, practiced my skeet shooting with the camera with the hope of capturing a few birds in focus. I made this composite from the almost 300 photos taken. Nikon D7100, Nikon 300 mm / f2.8 VRII, 1.7TCIII and MB-D10 Motor Drive.

Brownton Abbey, 26340 Higgins Way, Wayne, Michigan, US
Aug 16, 2015 5:30 PM - 6:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Yard
1 species

Chimney Swift (Chaetura pelagica)  36

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S162068912

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)