Oak Openings Metropark - 08 May 2021


Robin and I drove to Oak Openings Preserve Metropark in NW Ohio this morning. Skies were partly cloudy but it was chilly enough to need hat and gloves (40-50F). First stop was along Girdham Rd. next to the Lark Sparrow field.

As we approached the site Robin pointed to a Red-headed Woodpecker on the shoulder right in front of the car that I totally missed. It flew across the road to a tree on my side of the car but was severely backlit by the morning Sun.


We parked at one end of the Lark Sparrow field and I grabbed the camera and scope and headed out to look for birds. Eastern Bluebirds were flying across the field and Field Sparrows could be heard singing in the distance.  I managed to spot a single Lark Sparrow fly up into a snag about 100' away. I had time to set up the scope and digiscope it w/ the Sony a9. 




The bird was a female. How did I know? Because as I digiscoped it a second bird flew up and atop its backside and copulated with it. Epic! 




After they flew off I headed down to the small cemetery plot to photograph some Wild Lupine blooming next to the field. I ran into Kelly Milewski, Naturalist at OOPMP who was doing a Facebook Live session for the Biggest Week in American Birding. She asked me to say hi and share my sightings. We chatted for a few minutes before I continued back to the car. 

I also chatted with one of the field researchers (Wendy ?) who mentioned that two pair of Lark Sparrows were presently on site. One pair appeared to be nesting while the other pair had just arrived. After last Fall's burn the hope is that more pairs of birds will nest. Last year only saw 2 pairs of Lark Sparrows on site.

I returned to the car and took a short walk along the bike path. Highlights were a Swainson's Thrush, Gray Catbird and a Red-tailed Hawk in flight. 



We then drove to the Buehner Center and walked the dune trail for a half hour. A Chipping Sparrow was a nice find, as well as an Eastern Towhee






Otherwise it was quiet. We settled for taking some photos of the recent controlled-burn. 









We returned to the car and headed for home. On the way out another Red-headed Woodpecker was found next to the road, and this time better photo opps were afforded.




Happy Global Birding Day!

Oak Openings Preserve Metropark, Lucas, Ohio, US
May 8, 2021 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     40F, breezy
8 species

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
Red-headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)  2
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  1
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  6
Swainson's Thrush (Catharus ustulatus)  1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  1
Lark Sparrow (Chondestes grammacus)  2
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S159829959

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)