American White Pelicans - 10 Apr 2024

Skies were clear and temps were hovering near 50F this morning when I arrived at Erie Marsh Preserve in southern Monroe Co.. I brought the bike along with the intention of riding the outer dike to look for early passerines.

Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and Tree Swallows dominated the ride. Photo opps were few, and the Sun was burning my eyes as I rode east for the first 1-2 miles of the loop. Red-breasted Mergansers were swimming in the pond to my left, and a half-dozen American White Pelicans were swimming near shore in the bay to my right. Unfortunately, I was unable to photograph them through the thickets until I reached a somewhat opening.

The first of several dozen Bald Eagles flushed from the tree tops ahead of me. At one point I was hearing a high-pitched "Siri-siri-siri" call from the trees ahead of me, but could not locate the bird. Pine Warbler?

As I rounded the bend of the loop and started heading north I spotted small flocks of American White Pelicans soaring over the marsh to my left. 

I then had to stop when I spotted a massive roost of American White Pelicans along the dike separating Ponds F and E of the preserve. I counted ~160 birds packed tightly along the far shore.



They would be easier to see once I reached the dike next to the pump house.


In the channel to the right of the pump house a small group of Ring-necked Ducks were swimming and courting.





A pair of Northern Shovelers appeared, followed by another drake.




As I walked out to photograph the pelican roost a pair of Blue-winged Teal flushed.





I would continue northward along the outer dike picking up Northern Flicker, several American Tree Sparrows, Dark-eyed Juncos, and my first Fox Sparrow.

Several more pelicans were swimming in the channel separating the outer dike from Woodtick Peninsula. I managed to find an opening to photograph this guy taking off.







The dike separating Ponds E and D held a small concentration of American Wigeon and Gadwall.


Closer to shore several American Coot were swimming.

As I reached the NE corner I found another small roost of American White Pelicans at the tip of the small peninsula just west of the Woodtick Peninsula. Here I counted ~70 birds.

I continued along the north dike until I reached the new dike that was completed just last year. There, I rode southward back toward the ponds 5 and 4. My only birds were several pairs of Northern Shoveler and a couple Killdeer

I momentarily got lost at Sparrows Corner and rode into the Gun Club, but then backtracked and found the main trail back to the parking lot. I would fail to refind the pair of Black-necked Stilts reported earlier by Arnie Buehler, but would see 3 Trumpeter Swans fly in from Bay Creek.

Erie Marsh Preserve, Monroe, Michigan, US
Apr 10, 2024 8:34 AM - 10:52 AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.2 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Mild 50F
44 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  34
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  12
Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator)  3     In creek next to reserve. Later flew into Pond 1 just as I was leaving. Trumpeting while flying.
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  16
Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors)  18
Northern Shoveler (Spatula clypeata)  20
Gadwall (Mareca strepera)  24
American Wigeon (Mareca americana)  16
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  8
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  2
Green-winged Teal (Anas crecca)  14
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  12
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)  6
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)  14
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)  8
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)  2
American Coot (Fulica americana)  50
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis)  2
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  4
Pectoral Sandpiper (Calidris melanotos)  1
Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia)  2
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  6
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  2
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  2
Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritum)  22
American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos)  237     Large roost along dike separating Ponds F and E viewed from outside dike. By 2s to 75 then doubled. Another 70 in NE corner of reserve. Viewed from outer dike at NE corner.
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  4
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  2
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  8
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  84
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  8
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  8
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus)  2
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  4
Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)  1
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  4
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  10
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  86
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  6
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  12
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S167997803

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)