Mackinac Island, Day 2 - 04 Aug 2026
Another clear and calm morning. At 65ºF the air felt warm as humidity had risen overnight. I took a walk around the grounds of Mission Point to see if any birds might show themselves.
I started at Mackinaw Island State Park so that the Sun would be at my back on the way back. I spent some time trying to find a pair of Black-and-White Warblers in the cedars next to road, but only got fleeting glimpses.
Just inside the park this Red-eyed Vireo flew in and foraged at knee level. It took a bit to get focus, but I was then able to get some nice images from 20' away.
Walking along the beach I spent some time looking at rocks, but everything was similar: bleached, white with some aggregates found between. Out in the lake a single female Common Merganser was resting comfortably on the only protruding rock in the area.
I walked over to the maintenance area and found a pair of Song Sparrows foraging through the brush.
At the edge of the yard a pair of Yellow Warblers flew in. A female,
and a presumed juvenile showing an eye-ring and grayish flanks.

An American Redstart would be seen when we walked into town and had lunch at the Ice House.
Mackinac Island State Park, Mackinac Island US-MI 45.85202, -84.60515, Mackinac, Michigan, US
Aug 4, 2026 8:19 AM - 1:01 PMProtocol: Traveling
1.358 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Clear, calm, humid 75F
18 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 24
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 2
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser) 1
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura) 4
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus) 4
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 6
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus) 1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata) 1
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 1
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis) 2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 4
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula) 4
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia) 2
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla) 1
Northern Yellow Warbler (Setophaga aestiva) 2
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S3
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)




















Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.