Sony A1 FW Ver. 2.02 and SEL200600G FW Ver. 03 - 13 Jun 2024

While scrolling Facebook this morning I came across the announcement that Sony had released Firmware Update Ver. 2.02 for the ILCE-1 (Sony Alpha a1) that addresses focusing issues that folks have been having with the Sony 200-600 mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens, along w/ improving camera stability. 

To date, I've only had issues w/ the camera refusing to focus from far-to-near when I'm chasing warblers, so I've always pre-focused up close before going after the birds. Eye AF has been crack on and I've not had any misgivings about using the 200-600 over my 600 mm f/4 GM OSS Lens.

It was a bit disconcerting hearing that "already" Facebook was posting complaints about the new Ver. 2.02 FW upgrade: shutters not working, settings changing after upgrade, focusing slower, etc. A few people reported no problems, and improved performance, so that was enough for me to to the upgrade.

The A1 Firmware Upgrade 2.02 was simple and straightforward: Make sure the current version of the Sony A1 is Ver. 2.01!!!!

 1. Format the card in Slot 1                                                                     2. Back up the data on the card in Slot 1 before formatting (wait, what?) - lesson here is read the   instructions all the way through before doing the upgrade. Sony, this should be Step 1...                                             

3. Download the BODYDATA.DAT file to your computer

File Info

  • Name: BODYDATA.DAT
  • Version: 2.02
  • Size: 813 681 032 bytes
  • Release Date: 06-13-2024
4. Copy the file BODYDATA.DAT to the root directory of the card in Slot 1
5. Go to the camera Menu → Setup → Setup Option → Version and select Update and Execute

The update took less than 5 minutes and completed w/o issue. The camera was now showing Ver. 2.02 and all settings remained the same. 

It was at this point that I decided to try the 200-600 G on the camera and found it to focus quickly and accurately on the feeders in the yard. I didn't have time to photograph any birds but I was satisfied that all was good. I did notice that my Firmware Version was 01 on the lens, so I decided I would update to the latest Version 03 after lunch.

The lens firmware update required the Sony a1 cable connection to the computer, but it was also straightforward. Download the Firmware Update Ver. 03 and follow directions (make sure you have the Sony Camera Driver installed on your computer before updating). The update is also quick, but you will see a message to "Remove the Battery once the Update is Completed" - I had to read on to make sure it was safe to do so (removing battery during update can brick the camera!). Once the update is completed, however, turn off the camera, remove the battery, re-install the battery, and turn back on. The Menu → Setup → Setup Option → Version should now show the Lens Ver. 03.

Even though it was hot, sunny and windy at 2:30 pm this afternoon I decided to try out the combo in the back yard. Sitting on the bottom steps of the deck I was about 20' away from the feeders. The camera was set to Auto-ISO 100-12800 w/ a minimum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec. Bird Eye AF was selected and Wide Area AF was used. 

Focusing between far and near objects appeared snappy and accurate. 

I was surprised and delighted that Eye AF snapped onto the black eyes of a Red-winged Blackbird that landed on the shepherd's hook. Focusing on black eyes is traditionally very difficult and iffy-at-best. But, in this case the camera locked focus on the eyes and did not drift one bit (I have Focus-Tracking set to 1, Locked-On).



Of the 60+ images I captured during my 30 fps bursts I had ZERO tossers! Every frame was tack-sharp even when the bird turned its head away from me.








After a few moments the blackbird flew off and a Blue Jay flew in. Again the Sony a1 and 200-600 mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS lens locked on its eyes and did not budge. Eye AF seemed to lock on even when the bird was looking directly at me.






This sequence of frames was taken as the Jay took off. Eye is sharp in this first frame.


Eye is sharp in this 2nd frame as the bird squats prior to lunging.


Even though I was shooting 1/4000 sec. the eyes were slightly blurry on frame 3 (takeoff) and frame 4 (below) when the bird was fully extended. To me the Eye AF tracking (or my panning) was not sufficient to track the bird during this sudden flight.


I was impressed w/ the Lock-on AF performance. The image below was taken during a burst when the jay was eating suet; the camera focused on the suet cage as the bird's head was hidden behind the suet cake. During the burst the jay pulled its head into view and it took the camera 4 frames (at 1/4000 sec. and 30 fps) to lock onto the eye.


The camera maintained eye AF even after the bird ducked behind the suet feeder and pulled back. I was impressed.


The remaining frames in the burst were all tack sharp.




My platform feeder was about 30' away and again the camera had no problems focusing on the black eyes of the male Baltimore Oriole despite the black head. Focus was sharp and accurate even at 30'.



My initial impression of the Sony A1 Firmware Update Ver. 2.02 and the Sony 200-600 mm Firmware Update Ver. 03 is that focus accuracy and tracking IS improved and worth Upgrading. There is less hunting of focus and Lock-on AF seems to be improved. 

I will be performing the Firmware updates on my second Sony a1 and look forward to testing the combo on birds in flight. Stay tuned...

All images were processed w/ Adobe AI Denoise in Lightroom Classic (50%) with images captured at ISO's between 3200 - 12800.