Sparrows at HQ - 29 Jan 2005


29 January 2005 Pt Mouillee SGA, Monroe

1600 Hrs.  Cloudy, overcast, 29ºF.  Following up on Tom Jere’s reports of a Short-eared Owl visiting his yard for the past week (~6pm every night) I head down to Pt. Mouillee area to look for it.  

As I drove down 21st Street just this side of Oak St. an immature Cooper’s Hawk flew in front of the car and into a yard.  Just up the street an American Kestrel was perched on an overhead power line.  I got out of the car and shot a number of frames of the kestrel before continuing on.


2506 21st Street, Wyandotte, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 29, 2005 4:00 PM - 4:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Driving to Pt. Mouillee
2 species

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  1
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1     end of street on wire

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41754341

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
 
1630 Hrs.  I decided to check out the Headquarters off Campau Rd before heading south on US Turnpike Rd.  As I drove down Campau I spotted a Red-tailed Hawk perched in a tree next to the golf course.  It flew off before I could digiscope it.  

As I drove on I spotted numerous American Tree Sparrows next to the fence at the entrance to the headquarters.  Since the birds were on the passenger side of the car, and with cars behind me I couldn’t stop.  So I drove on and checked out the Huron River and the SGA.  

The water was frozen as far as I could see and there was no activity anywhere.  I decide to stop by the fence on the way out and see if I could get some pics of the birds out the driver’s side window, but they were skittish and flew off into the bushes.  Since no one else was around I shut off the car and sat quietly with the window open.  

In just a few minutes the American Tree Sparrows returned, along with several Song Sparrows.  Soon a couple of White-throated Sparrows appeared and I began to shoot as fast as I could focus on the birds.  After a few minutes up to a dozen Northern Cardinals appeared, along with a Red-bellied Woodpecker, Downy Woodpecker, and several Mourning Doves.  

The best birds, however, were a pair of Swamp Sparrows that appeared with the White-throated Sparrows.  The Swampies were darker in color with gray cheeks and nape, grayish wash on the breast, but buffy on the sides and with rufous wings.  Very pretty.  Got some great images. 













Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ (Wayne County), Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 29, 2005 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
12 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)  2
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  6
Northern Harrier (Circus hudsonius)  1
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  3     Immature bird next to golf course on Campau Rd. and 2 more next to Siegler Rd. entrance.
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Dryobates pubescens)  1
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  6
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  2
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41754508

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)