Downriver Birding - 10 Feb 2005


10 February 2005 LEMP, Pt.Mouillee, Riverview, Wayne Co.

1530 Hrs.  Sunny, clear, cold, 30ºF.  I drove down to Lake Erie Metropark to see nothing in particular.  The lake was open and a few small rafts of American Coots and Canvasbacks were visible in the choppy waters, but otherwise few ducks were about.  A few Mute and Tundra Swans were still close to shore on some shoreline ice.  

Cove Point, Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 10, 2005 3:30 PM - 3:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Sunny clear cool 30F
4 species

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  6
Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus)  6
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  120
American Coot (Fulica americana)  60

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S182076409

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

1600 Hrs.  I drove to Pt. Mouillee SGA Headquarters on Campau Rd. and saw up to 12 Northern Cardinals in a bush. A Great Blue Heron nestled in the phragmites along Campau Rd. allowed a quick photo.

 


Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ (Wayne County), Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 10, 2005 4:00 PM - 4:20 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Sunny clear 30F
2 species

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S182076761

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

At Riverside Park I saw a Bald Eagle soaring near the frozen inland waters of Pt. Moo.  Driving down US Turnpike I passed an open field with 12 Ring-necked Pheasants feeding.  The flew off as I got out of the car.

Gibraltar Landfill, Monroe, Michigan, US
Feb 10, 2005 4:30 PM - 4:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
2 species

Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)  12     In field across from landfill. 6 male and 6 female
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S182077365

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

On the way home I drove south on Jefferson near Trenton Power Plant.  I spotted a Red-tailed Hawk perched in a tree on the passenger side of the car.  Knowing that it would fly off as soon as I got out, I remained in the car.  I approached slowly with the driver side window down, and turned into a driveway.  Surprisingly, the hawk stayed put and gave me some great pics through the Sigma 400mm.




Detroit River IWR--Refuge Gateway (Humbug Marsh), Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 10, 2005 4:45 PM - 4:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
1 species

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S182078794

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments