Lake Erie Metropark - 02 Feb 2005


02 February 2005 Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne Co.

1500 Hrs.  Cloudy, hazy, cool, 32ºF.  Acting on an e-mail from Paul Cypher I took a ride to LEMP to look for a White-winged Scoter that was seen off the South Marina Point at the foot of Lee Rd.  A drive to the south end of the park yielded numerous Tundra and Mute Swans, Canvasbacks, Bufflehead, Black Duck, and a couple of Bald Eagles.  I spotted several Red-tail Hawks and a single Dark-eyed Junco, but no WWSC.  

A drive down to the marina off Lee Rd. yielded a Swamp Sparrow, several Song Sparrows and a Black-capped Chickadee.  I got some digiscoped images of Common Goldeneye and preening swans while I was out, but the fog/haze from the past few days have left everything frost-covered  and cold.  

No sooner had I left the marina that the sun came out….  I did spot a couple Ring-necked Pheasants and a couple of Red-tail Hawks (saw the white ‘V’ on the back of the scapulars). 







Cove Point, Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 2, 2005 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Cloudy, hazy cool 32F; a White-winged Scoter was reported at s end of park in river.
13 species

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  25
Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus)  40
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  6
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  120
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola)  23
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  36
Ring-necked Pheasant (Phasianus colchicus)  2
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  3
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  1
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S182126881

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

On the drive home I spotted a Northern Flicker and a fly-by Northern Mockingbird!

Riverview, MI, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 2, 2005 4:00 PM - 4:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Driving home from Pt. Mouillee along Jefferson in Riverview near King Rd.
2 species

Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1     fly-by mockingbird with gray body and long tail and distinct wing bars and white patches on forewing in flight. 1-2 birds have been reported in this area recently and are suspected of being regulars. Not blue jay, not mourning dove.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41754630

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments