Ross's Goose - 19 Feb 2005


19 February 2005 Elizabeth Park, Trenton, Wayne Co.

1100 Hrs.  Received an e-mail from Tim Smart that Walt Pawlowski had (2) Ross’s Geese in the canal at Elizabeth Park.  I drove down there in the slightly overcast/ptly sunny skies, 32ºF to see if I could locate them.  

As I entered the park off Jefferson I noticed many cars along the side of the road, but none birding.  Everyone seemed to be walking animals.  One loop around the park and I did not see any geese in the canal or the Detroit River.  

I looped a second time and stopped near the 1st walking bridge.  With my scope on the small tripod and camera around my neck I hiked over the bridge and walked toward the 2nd bridge.  Nothing in sight until I came upon the second bridge and lo, a pair of small, white geese feeding in the grass among a flock of larger Canada Geese.  New Lifer!  

I quickly set up the scope next to the pergola so I could remain somewhat hidden and got beautiful looks at a pair of Ross’s Geese.  Their small size, black wing tips, and pink bill with non-descript black grin patch verified their ID.  They were significantly smaller than the Canada’s that I suspected to be of the C. intermediate race.

I digiscoped numerous shots of the pair as they fed on the grass and slowly worked my way around the side of the pergola to get closer.  I was actually close enough that 20X on the eyepiece was too close, and I had to zoom out w/ the CP990.  

I then took out the D70 and shot a few pics just before a larger Canada Goose decided to chase the pair of Ross’s into the canal.  All of the geese then entered the water, and I quickly ran to the other side of the bridge and got down on my stomach so that I could photograph them as they swam by.  I shot the entire 512MB card (RAW) = 95 pics of the birds as they swam by.  I then digiscoped a few more before they left the canal on the road side of the park.  I hiked back to the car, and as I pulled up the flock of geese on the grass, an old-timer with a Border Collie let the dog loose to chase the geese.  They all flew back into the canal obviously upset!  I decided I had enough pics and headed back home.  Great moment!




















Elizabeth Park (Trenton), Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 19, 2005 11:00 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Received an e-mail from Tim Smart that Walt Pawlowski had (2) Ross’s Geese in the canal at Elizabeth Park.
2 species

Ross's Goose (Anser rossii)  2     I drove down there in the slightly overcast/ptly sunny skies, 32ºF to see if I could locate them.  As I entered the park off Jefferson I noticed many cars along the side of the road, but none birding.  Everyone seemed to be walking animals.  One loop around the park and I did not see any geese in the canal or the Detroit River.  I looped a second time and stopped near the 1st walking bridge.  With my scope on the small tripod and camera around my neck I hiked over the bridge and walked toward the 2nd bridge.  Nothing in sight until I came upon the second bridge and lo, a pair of small, white geese feeding in the grass among a flock of larger Canada Geese.  I quickly set up the scope next to the pergola so I could remain somewhat hidden and got beautiful looks at a pair of Ross’s Geese.  Their small size, black wing tips, and pink bill with non-descript black grin patch verified their ID.  They were significantly smaller than the Canada’s that I suspected to be of the C. intermediate race.
I digiscoped numerous shots of the pair as they fed on the grass and slowly worked my way around the side of the pergola to get closer.  I was actually close enough that 20X on the eyepiece was too close, and I had to zoom out w/ the CP990.  I then took out the D70 and shot a few pics just before a larger Canada Goose decided to chase the pair of Ross’s into the canal.  All of the geese then entered the water, and I quickly ran to the other side of the bridge and got down on my stomach so that I could photograph them as they swam by.  I shot the entire 512MB card (RAW) = 95 pics of the birds as they swam by.  I then digiscoped a few more before they left the canal on the road side of the park.  I hiked back to the car, and as I pulled up the flock of geese on the grass, an old-timer with a Border Collie let the dog loose to chase the geese.  They all flew back into the canal obviously upset!  I decided I had enough pics and headed back home.  Great moment!
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  16

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41755819

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)