Grassland Sparrows @ Oakwoods MP - 24 Jun 2005


24 June 2005 Oakwoods Metropark, Wayne Co.

0930 Hrs.  It was supposed to be Golf-till-you-drop Outing today in Oscoda at Lakewood Shores, but Hal's heart catheterization this morning prompted me to drive back home after midnight and miss the the outing.  The Piston's losing to the Spurs in Game 7 did not improve my temperament...  

After leaving the hospital, I drove out to Oakwoods Metropark for a bit, to see if I could hear/see a Henslow's Sparrow.  As I arrived, I saw Walt Pawlowski standing near the area where the Henslow's were being heard.  We were able to confirm at least 2 individuals very near to where we were standing.  I took a GPS reading for records sake:

N42º06.417' W083º21.013'

Savannah Sparrows were also being heard, 


but the distinctive 'tslik' of the Henslows Sparrow was unmistakable.  I took several photos of the grassland habitat, which consisted mainly of tall grasses with a few thistle.  


After Walt left the area, I found a spot a few feet west of the location where a single Bull Thistle stood adjacent to a small depression in the grass.  



A single Henslow's Sparrow was singing from what appeared to be the shallow depression area.  I did not approach the area for fear of disturbing a possible nest.  

I was able to digiscope an Eastern Meadowlark out in the middle of the field atop a short stump.



Afterward, I headed for the 1-mile marker sign and Dickcissels.  Walt was there and had seen 3 pair of Dickcissels.



I took another GPS reading, and photographs of the area, which consisted of thicker woody plants and shrubs.

N42º05.150' W083º20.289'

A drive down to Cedar Knoll failed to produce any Bobolink. I did see an Eastern Kingbird on the way out.

Oakwoods Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jun 24, 2005 9:30 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Walt Pawlowski standing near location where Henslow's Sparrow found.
5 species

Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  1
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  2
Henslow's Sparrow (Centronyx henslowii)  2     As I arrived, I saw Walt Pawlowski standing near the area where the Henslow's were being heard.  We were able to confirm at least 2 individuals very near to where we were standing.  I took a GPS reading for records sake:

N42º06.417'
W083º21.013'

Savannah Sparrows were also being heard, but the distinctive 'tslik' of the Henslows was unmistakable.  I took several photos of the grassland habitat, which consisted mainly of tall grasses with a few thistle.  After Walt left the area, I found a spot a few feet west of the location where a single Bull Thistle stood adjacent to a small depression in the grass.  A single Henslow's was singing from what appeared to be the shallow depression area.  I did not approach the area for fear of disturbing a possible nest.
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna)  2
Dickcissel (Spiza americana)  1     Walt reported 3 pair of Dickcissels when I arrived. I digiscoped 1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41803217

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)