Wayne Co. Grassland Birds - 11 Jun 2005


11 June 2005 Oakwoods Metropark, Wayne Co.

0800 Hrs.  Warm, hazy, humid, 75ºF.  Earlier this week there was a posting that (4) Dickcissels had been spotted at Oakwoods Metropark at the "1 mile to Nature Center" sign.  I drove there this morning in the hopes of hearing or seeing one.  

As I approached within approximately 100 yds. of the sign I heard a singing Dickcissel call out its 'der-der-der-siiiii".  I managed to get my scope and digiscope equipment out and get numerous pics of the bird, even though exposures were slightly under optimal settings (1/125 sec. at f/4.0).  I was able to spot 2 birds, and hear 2 others between the 1- and 2- mile markers.  New lifer for me!  Lovely birds with chestnut wings, yellow eyebrows and chest and black bibs. 




 

I also drove around and managed a few pics of a Savannah Sparrow 


and Eastern Meadowlark.  



Also seen/heard were Warbling Vireos, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Yellow Warblers, Field Sparrows.

Oakwoods Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jun 11, 2005 8:00 AM - 9:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Warm, hazy, humid, 75ºF.  Earlier this week there was a posting that (4) Dickcissels had been spotted at Oakwoods Metropark at the "1 mile to Nature Center" sign.  I drove there this morning in the hopes of hearing or seeing one.
7 species

Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  2
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  4
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  2
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna)  2
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  2
Dickcissel (Spiza americana)  4     Earlier this week there was a posting that (4) Dickcissels had been spotted at Oakwoods Metropark at the "1 mile to Nature Center" sign.  I drove there this morning in the hopes of hearing or seeing one.  As I approached within approximately 100 yds. of the sign I heard a singing Dickcissel call out its 'der-der-der-siiiii".  I managed to get my scope and digiscope equipment out and get numerous pics of the bird, even though exposures were slightly under optimal settings (1/125 sec. at f/4.0).  I was able to spot 2 birds, and hear 2 others between the 1- and 2- mile markers.  New lifer for me!  Lovely birds with chestnut wings, yellow eyebrows and chest and black bibs.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41781864

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

    
11 June 2005 Willow Run Airport, Wayne Co.

1000 Hrs.  After Oakwoods I drove up I-275N to Ecorse Rd and W. to Willow Run Airport to see possible Grasshopper Sparrows and Upland Sandpipers.  

As I drove around looking for Tyler Rd. I ended up on the W. side of the airport.  While trying to find out where I was using the Delorme Atlas I heard the 'tsit-ser-tsiiiiiiii" of a Grasshopper Sparrow at the entrance to the airport off of W. Tyler Rd.  I quickly got my scope/camera out and saw the prettiest little cream-buff sparrow with eyering, and black medial crown stripes with white central crown stripe.
I was able to get a couple good pics through the fence with the digiscope before it flew off.  Another lifer!






I then found my way back to Tyler Rd. off of Belleville Rd and headed back west toward the airport.  There I saw numerous Savannah Sparrows, a Belted Kingfisher, Red-tailed Hawk, and about a half dozen more Grasshopper Sparrows along the fence bordering the airport.  I was able to get numerous pics of the Grasshopper Sparrows and Savannah Sparrows out the car window with the 400mm Sigma and Nikon D70.  Security guard was driving around and did not like us being there, so I tried to remain careful and not be seen with the camera.


Willow Run Airport 2, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jun 11, 2005 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Looking for Grasshopper Sparrows and Upland Sandpipers
5 species

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum)  4     As I drove around looking for Tyler Rd. I ended up on the W. side of the airport.  While trying to find out where I was using the Delorme Atlas I heard the 'tsit-ser-tsiiiiiiii" of a Grasshopper Sparrow at the entrance to the airport off of W. Tyler Rd.  I quickly got my scope/camera out and saw the prettiest little cream-buff sparrow with eyering, and black medial crown stripes with white central crown stripe.
I was able to get a couple good pics through the fence with the digiscope before it flew off
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41802854

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)