Lakeland RV Park - 19 Jan 2006

1330 Hrs. Robin and I took Esther and Hal down to Lakeland for their Spring Training vacation. Skies are clear, sunny and its about 65ºF. Flying into Orlando I saw a few birds: Little Blue Heron, Snowy Egrets, American Coots. 

Orlando International Airport , Orange, Florida, US
Jan 19, 2006 1:30 PM - 1:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
3 species

American Coot (Fulica americana)  6
Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea)  1
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S180498140

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

On the drive down to Lakeland along I-4 we see Black Vultures and Turkey Vultures but little else. 


After getting them settled in the RV park, I looked out the window and saw an Osprey perched on the antennae over the clubhouse. I grabbed the tripod out of my pack, and had to put it together. Frantically trying to put the tripod head on, along with the scope, and get my camera out, a second Osprey was circling over the first. No sooner did I step out onto the porch did the Osprey(s) fly off. Oh, well…. 


As I walked across the street to the pond behind the clubhouse (4) Wood Storks flew overhead. 


As I stepped onto the dock a couple were sitting on one of the picnic tables and asked me if I was there to see the launch? “Launch?”. I had no idea what they were talking about. Just then the Pluto space probe was launched from Cape Canaveral and shot up over the horizon out over the pond. I turned my scope and camera toward it and caught an image before it disappeared into space. Amazing! 




Turning my attention to the pond, there were several Double-crested Cormorants roosting on stumps out in the middle of the pond, 






and there were about 6-7 Common Moorhens casually swimming near the deck. I took the opportunity to take some digiscoped images using the Canon A620 while there was actually some sun. 


Across the pond there was an Anhinga, and an immature Red-tailed Hawk being harassed by Blue Jays. Overhead I could see Eurasian Collared Doves and White-winged Doves. Flying overhead were some Caspian Terns, and I could hear Sandhill Cranes from the lake behind the RV park. 


Lakeland RV Park, FL, Polk, Florida, US
Jan 19, 2006 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.3 mile(s)
13 species

Eurasian Collared-Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)  2
White-winged Dove (Zenaida asiatica)  2
Common Gallinule (Gallinula galeata)  7
Sandhill Crane (Antigone canadensis)  2
Caspian Tern (Hydroprogne caspia)  2
Wood Stork (Mycteria americana)  4
Anhinga (Anhinga anhinga)  1
Double-crested Cormorant (Nannopterum auritum)  4
Black Vulture (Coragyps atratus)  6
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  6
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  2
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S180500795

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)