Tree Swallows in January - 26 Jan 2006

1530 Hrs. Sunny, mild, 38ºF. Took a walk along the dikes at Pt. Moo hoping to see some Short-eared Owls. 

Things were kind of quiet, with only Mute Swans and Mallards about. The ponds were freezing over with a thin layer of ice and only the river and lake was open. Still, it was nice to be out. 

I took numerous flight shots of Mute Swans flying by, and a couple of digiscoped images of a pair sitting out on open ice. 

As I got to the Vermet Unit I saw (3) TREE SWALLOWS still around from the X-mas Counts. I followed them as they flew over open water and over ice apparently feeding on winter bugs. 

As the sun set over the lake I still saw no SEO’s but still enjoyed being out

Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
Jan 26, 2006 3:30 PM - 5:45 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
3 species

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  6
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  8
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  3     Tree Swallows were reported during the Rockwood CBC so it wasn't unexpected. As I got to the Vermet Unit I saw (3) TREE SWALLOWS still around from the X-mas Counts.  I followed them as they flew over open water and over ice apparently feeding on winter bugs. White bellies, dark backs.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41851225

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)