Baja Coast, MX - 02 Mar 2006

2 March 2006 - Baja Coast, Mexico 

1441 Hrs. We were 853 miles from LA and 355 miles to Manzanillo (our first port). First day at sea, and the ocean was calm with only a slight breeze. Sunny, and warming up. I Haven’t seen a single bird all day to this point, but I finally spotted (6) shorebirds winging just above the surface of the water off the starboard side. They settled into the water and I can only guess that they were Red Phalaropes. What other shorebirds would be this far out from shore and swimming in water? 


We also saw several whales and dolphins between the boat and the shoreline (Cabo San Lucas?). GPS coordinates: 22º 13.16’N, 109º 30.93’W. 


1551 Hrs. Robin and I were lounging poolside in the sun, drinking Corona’s, and I spotted a Masked Booby on the port side of the boat. It flew next to the boat and gavesme some great looks through the binoculars, which I was carrying with me everywhere on the boat (even to dinner!). 


At 1600 Hrs I checked our coordinates: 21 53.95’N, 109 03.07’W. 885 miles from LA and 322.9 from Manzanilla. 


1700 Hrs. Off in the distance I can see a Magnificent Frigatebird flying near shore. A female with its dark head and white breast. 


Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos, Baja California Sur, MX
Mar 2, 2006 2:40 PM - 2:50 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     We are 853 miles from LA and 355 miles to Manzanillo (our first port).  First day at sea, and the ocean is calm with only a slight breeze.  Sunny, and warming up.  Haven’t seen a single bird all day to this point, but I finally spot (6) shorebirds winging just above the surface of the water off the starboard side.  They settle into the water and I can only guess that they are Red Phalaropes.  What other shorebirds would be this far out from shore and swimming in water?  We also see several whales and dolphins between the boat and the shoreline (Cabo San Lucas?).  GPS coordinates:  22º 13.16’N, 109º 30.93’W.
3 species

Red Phalarope (Phalaropus fulicarius)  6     ) shorebirds winging just above the surface of the water off the starboard side.  They settle into the water and I can only guess that they are Red Phalaropes. Pale gray w/ dark patches extending behind eyes.
Magnificent Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens)  1     female w/ dark head and white breast
Masked Booby (Sula dactylatra)  1     Following cruise ship ; At 1600 Hrs I check our coordinates:  21 53.95’N, 109 03.07’W.  885 miles from LA and 322.9 from Manzanilla. White booby w/ yellow bill, black mask and black wing tips and secondaries.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41852072

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)


3 March 2006 - Pacific Ocean, Mexico 


Full day at sea and nothing to see. Nada. 

Comments