Shorebirding in Allen Park??? - 25 May 2006

1710 Hrs.  I stopped at the ponds surrounding the new mall at 5:10 pm and saw a single White-rumped Sandpiper and Dunlin in one of the retention ponds just east of the Target and the same on where the Red-necked Phalarope was reported last Friday.  Both were feeding near shore and would have made for some good digiscoping.  But, I’m on the scooter and only have my binoculars.  And, a storm is coming…. 

I took a quick tour of the ponds on my scooter and saw the following:

(6) Spotted Sandpipers

(2) Killdeer

(4) Semipalmated Plovers

(1) Dunlin

(1) White-rumped Sandpiper

(2) Savannah Sparrows

(1) Eastern Kingbird

I grew up in Allen Park and in my lifetime would never have believed I could use the words Allen Park and shorebirds in the same sentence.  Its a good day....

Fairlane Green Retention Ponds, Wayne, Michigan, US
May 25, 2006 5:10 PM - 5:40 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     1710 Hrs.  I stopped at the ponds surrounding the new mall at 5:10 pm and saw a single White-rumped Sandpiper and Dunlin in one of the retention ponds just east of the Target and the same on where the Red-necked Phalarope was reported last Friday.  Both were feeding near shore and would have made for some good digiscoping.  But, I’m on the scooter and only have my binoculars.  And, a storm is coming….I grew up in Allen Park and in my lifetime would never have believed I could use the words Allen Park and shorebirds in the same sentence.  Its a good day....
7 species

Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  2
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus)  4
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)  6
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  1
White-rumped Sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis)  1
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus)  1
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41863515

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)