Coyote Allen Park - 13 Jul 2006

At 5:30pm this evening I conducted a brief shorebird survey at the holding ponds across from the new Target Store in Allen Park (between Outer Drive and Oakwood Blvd. along Southfield Service Dr.).  I counted a whopping (42) KILLDEER and at least (12) SPOTTED SANDPIPERS.  I'm sure that I missed several more of each due to the tall grass and obstructed views.  Several Savannah Sparrows were observed, also.  Mourning Doves are flourishing in the surrounding grasslands as I saw dozens all over.

The northernmost pond (next to Oakwood Blvd.) surprised me with a pair of COYOTES lazing along the shoreline in the hot afternoon sun.  One saw my big, silver, scooter-helmeted head and high-tailed it into the woods.  The other continued on its way for several minutes and allowed me time to get a couple of quick digiscoped images from about 30-40 meters away.  It too then trotted off into the woods. 


Target Store Retention Ponds, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jul 13, 2006 5:30 PM - 6:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
4 species

Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  22
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  42
Spotted Sandpiper (Actitis macularius)  12
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S178267879

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)