Oak Openings Metropark - 29 Jul 2006

I drove down to Oak Openings Metropark in Ohio this morning to look for LARK SPARROWS.  Along the west side of Girdham Rd (inside the park) between the Mallard Lake Lodge and Monclove Rd. is an Oak Savannah field posted as a ground nesting site for birds.  

I ran into a young couple and asked if either of them were familiar enough w/ the park to point me to where I may look for some.  Turns out the guy was studying Lark Sparrows and had mist nests scattered throughout the field.  I was informed that there are currently about 60 birds moving throughout the fields and adjacent surroundings and sure enough he pointed to bird on the road in front of my car.  

Despite the heavy fog that limited visibility I spent a good hour observing both adult and juvenile Lark Sparrows, Field Sparrows, Bluebirds, Indigo Buntings, and velvet-headed deer.  I also watched as they banded several birds.

Also seen/heard throughout the park were Vespers Sparrows, Eastern Towhees, Carolina Wrens, House Wrens, and Hooded Warblers.  A GRASSHOPPER SPARROW was heard in the field at the junction of 295 and Wilkins Rd. just before the entrance to the park.

If anyone's interested in seeing Lark Sparrows this is probably the closest place to see them.

Directions:  I took I-75S to Ohio, picked up I-475W (and south) to US-2 (Airport Highway) west about 8 miles to I-295 S.  There are signs to the park and you can follow them.  I-295 forks - take the Wilkins

Road to the right and follow it right into the park.  Go straight and you'll see the signs for Mallard Lake - travel past it and turn right at Girdham Rd.  Look in the fields on your left.

Travel time from Wyandotte - 1Hr. 15 minutes

Oak Openings Preserve Metropark, Lucas, Ohio, US
Jul 29, 2006 7:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Directions:  I took I-75S to Ohio, picked up I-475W (and south) to US-2 (Airport Highway) west about
8 miles to I-295 S.  There are signs to the park and you can follow them.  I-295 forks - take the Wilkins
Road to the right and follow it right into the park.  Go straight and you'll see the signs for Mallard Lake - travel past it and turn right at Girdham Rd.  Look in the fields on your left.

Travel time from Wyandotte - 1Hr. 15 minutes
12 species

Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo)  2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  2
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  1
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  2
Grasshopper Sparrow (Ammodramus savannarum)  2     Airport Rd. fields
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  2
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  2
Lark Sparrow (Chondestes grammacus)  6     After turning around I head back toward the field and see the young couple now walking alongside the road.  I stop and inquire if either of them are familiar w/ the area.  The girl says no, but says the guy is familiar w/ the area.  So I ask him if he knows where I can find some Lark Sparrows.  “Funny you ask, as I’m currently studying them here in the park.  There are currently about 60 birds moving through the area using the nearby fields.  One just landed on the road ahead of your car.”  Sure enough I can make out the head marking and white outer tail feathers of an immature Lark Sparrow.  I thank them and drive on.
Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)  2
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  2
Indigo Bunting (Passerina cyanea)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41864947

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)