Happy New Year 2007 - 01 Jan 2007
1000-1200 Hrs. Happy New Year. I’ve decided to check out Pt. Mouillee SGA as hunting season is over (or so I thought). It was overcast and 43ºF outside, so I decided to bike Pt. Moo until the rains come this afternoon. Its been unusually mild, but wet and overcast for the last week or so. We’ve just had 0.5” of rain yesterday and were expecting more today.
At the HQ there were few to no birds about. The waters of the Huron River were open and devoid of all but a couple dozen Mute Swans. A few Bonaparte’s Gulls flew overhead, but no ducks or gulls were about.
Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 1, 2007 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: It was overcast and 43ºF outside, so I decided to bike Pt. Moo until the rains come this afternoon. Its been unusually mild, but wet and overcast for the last week or so. We’ve just had 0.5” of rain yesterday and were expecting more today.
3 species
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) 24
Bonaparte's Gull (Chroicocephalus philadelphia) 4
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 3
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S1
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)
As I left the HQ area I ran into young Neil Gilbert, his dad John, Craig Bateman, and a young Kevin Welsh. They told me that hunters have a special outing at Pt. Moo, so biking over there is out of the question. I therefore decided to drive out to Crosswinds Marsh along Rheaume Rd, Labo and Siegler Rds.
At the CWM area I found a pair of Great Black-backed Gulls among a couple dozen Ring-billed Gulls, but no other gulls were seen at the dump or in the park. A hundred or so Canada Geese were in the marsh, along w/ a few Mute Swan, but no other birds were present. A dozen or so American Tree Sparrows flew about, but it was starting to rain and blow, so I only biked for about 10 minutes. A Northern Shrike had been reported here a few days ago, but I didn’t see it today.
Crosswinds Marsh, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 1, 2007 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments: Raining; 43F
5 species
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 50
Mute Swan (Cygnus olor) 6
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 24
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 2
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea) 12
View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S4
This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)





Comments
Post a Comment
Please leave a comment. I will try to respond ASAP.