Ice-walking American Coot - 15 Feb 2007

1500 Hrs.  A drive down to the foot of Clinton Rd yielded a single American Coot, but it was sitting on the ice near shore.  As I sat in the car w/ the 400mm f/5.6 and 1.4TC I was able to shoot several frames in both cloud cover and in sunlight.  When the sun shone through the clouds for a moment the Coot’s bright red eye could be seen.  Otherwise it appeared black.  

After a few moments its hobbled to its feet and ran across the ice, stumbling, sitting for a few moments, then getting up to run some more.  After a bit it disappeared under the docks.

Wyandotte Boat Ramp, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 15, 2007 3:00 PM - 3:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Ptly cloudy.
1 species

American Coot (Fulica americana)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S174121157

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I then drove down to Ecorse Park and found a single Great Black-backed Gull sitting on the ice in front of Mud Island.  

A female Common Merganser floated by, giving me a couple fair shots.  

I tried to get a few flight shots of the GBBG but could only manage a couple decent images.  

Just then a male Common Goldeneye swam out from under me, and I tried to get some pics of it.  Images were closeup but a bit soft due to the cloudy weather and slow shutter speeds.  Still trying to get a sharp closeup of these guys!

I then noticed a male, basic plumaged, Ruddy Duck floating downstream toward me.  I ducked behind the railing and popped up just in time to get some swim-by shots.  I noticed he had a portion of his bill damaged.  Poor thing looks painful.  


I then saw a female Greater Scaup swimming upstream, so I ducked down and waited for her to swim by.  She obliged with a couple closeup images before swimming back out to open water. 

A Red-tailed Hawk then lifted off from the trees across the river and soared overhead briefly before disappearing.   

My day ended with several pics of the GBBG trying to swallow a large fish with little luck.


Dingell Park (formally Ecorse Park), Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 15, 2007 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
6 species

Greater Scaup (Aythya marila)  1
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula)  1
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)  1
Ruddy Duck (Oxyura jamaicensis)  1
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)  1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S174123389

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)