Whitefish Point Spring Fling '07 - 27-29 April























27 April 2007  Whitefish Point Bird Observatory, Paradise, MI

1300-1600 Hrs. As we approach the Mackinac Bridge the rain suddenly ceases and the skies begin to brighten. Along M-123 North we see a flock of (6) Sandhill Cranes in a field. Farther down the road a single Broad-winged Hawk is perched in a snag overlooking the road. I see my first Northern Raven in the U.P. shortly thereafter. As we cross the mouth of the Tahquamenon River a Greater Yellowlegs is resting in a mud spit next to the road. Several fishermen are scoping out the river for this weekend’s opening of Trout Season. We check into the Paradise Inn and then head north along Whitefish Point Drive toward the observatory. I hope to find Don Tinson to give him a raffle item: a framed Snowy Owl print. No sooner do I get out of the car that I overhear someone mention raffle and walk over and find Don and Angela Shaefer. Introductions are made and the raffle item is handed over. I grab my scope and head off toward the point. The skies are actually beginning to clear, but there is a brisk wind and its chilly. Still, there’s no rain, so this is good! As I walk toward the beach I run into Mike Sefton, Lathe Claflin, and Don Brooks. Not much is happening there, so I head toward the Gift Shop. The feeders behind the gift shop are busy with Goldfinches, White-throated Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and a single American Tree Sparrow, (2). A Hairy Woodpecker and several Juncos are also about. I get out my digiscoping equipment and begin to photograph a very handsome male WTSP from about 20 feet away. A Red Squirrel and Chipmunk also make good targets for digiscoping. And I also manage a pic of a Downy Woodpecker before heading back toward the car. Robin and I then walk up to the hawk tower, where a single Red-tail Hawk makes a brief appearance. Since we need to meet for dinner at the Camp 33 Restaurant at the Upper TQ Falls we decide to head back to the hotel to freshen up. Along the way we see several Turkey Vultures and Sharp-shinned Hawks.

1800 Hrs. As we drive along M-123 West toward the falls I see several small flocks of Red Crossbills feeding out in the middle of the road. Since time is short I can’t stop to watch them. At the restaurant we meet Dick Meyer, a founder of the WPBO and former president. Mike, Don and Lathe soon show up, and soon followed by Jerry Sadowski and our guest speaker, Mr. Al Batt of Hartland, MN. Al writes four weekly humor and nature columns for many newspapers, and does a regular radio show about nature three times a week on a number of radio stations. He writes a number of popular cartoon strips that are syndicated nationally including Dennis the Menace, Marmaduke and Frank and Ernest, among others. After dinner we take a quick walk to the falls for a photo, then drive back to the hotel before heading to the point for some owling.

2100 Hrs. As I arrive at the point its dark, but clear, breezy and cold. The hawk tower is packed with people, but noone’s seen any owls, yet. Soon after the sun disappears we see the first of three Long-eared Owls take flight from the conifers. One flies close enough to watch through binoculars. After a lull, I decide to leave and head off toward the parking lot. Chris Neri and Nova MacKentley are behind the gift shop and are about to release a very pretty Long-eared Owl so I watch them release it into the night. Back to the hotel.





















28 April 2007  Whitefish Point, Chippewa Co.

0630 Hrs. Robin and I are up and getting some coffee in the hotel lobby. A group from the Kalamazoo Nature Center are staying here, also, and are about to go outside to look for a Merlin that was heard yesterday in the woods behind the hotel. We finish up and head toward the point.

0700 Hrs. We arrive to a full parking lot and a large group milling around the Gift Shop waiting for a walking tour of the point. I run into Mike Sefton and follow his group to the point. Its clear, and surprisingly mild this morning, with very little wind. As we walk toward the point I see a Cooper’s Hawk fly overhead. As we arrive at the point there’s a group of several people already scoping the lake. Out in the distance there are (6) Horned Grebes in full breeding plumage. Gorgeous! There are also a pair of Red-necked Grebes nearby. A group of (12) Red-breasted Mergansers are closer into shore along with a single Canada Goose. All I can manage are a few poorly digiscoped images at full magnification, but the birds are too far away. I meet Paul Chad from Bowling Green, OH who’s up for festival and looking for rarities. A Northern Raven flies overhead and I’m lucky enough to get a photo. The first of several Common Loons fly in, and one even flies overhead close enough to get a decent image. Three Long-tailed Ducks fly in and make a brief appearance before disappearing. Numerous Northern Flickers are moving through and can be seen flying over the point. Once things quiet down I head back toward the gift shop, where a number of folks are milling about the donut tent. The feeders are active with several Pine Siskins, WTSP, (3) Chipping Sparrows, (2), (3), Song Sparrows, Black-capped Chickadees, and Goldfinches. After a brief time of digiscoping, we head toward the hawk tower just in time to digiscope a Northern Flicker nearby, then head back toward the car. A walk out to the platform overlooking the point yielded a single White-throat resting from the wind in a pile of driftwood. I spend several minutes getting some nice images from about 50 feet with both the D70/Sigma 400 and the Zeiss/F30, (2), (3).























1100 – 1530 Hrs. Robin and I give two digiscoping talks at the Paradise School. The talks go over well, and we meet several people who are interested enough to stay after to talk shop. We’re happy with the turnout and (apparent) enthusiasm.

1700 Hrs. The dinner banquet at the Community Center is a wonderful time. The weather has been fabulous today with clear skies and mild temps, and we even see an adult Bald Eagle fly by the lakeshore. Al’s talk is hilarious and the crowd is kept entertained all evening. The food is great, and compliments are made to Superior Catering for their efforts. The raffle goes well; I even win a Whitefish Point Bird Observatory baseball cap. We leave around 7:30 pm and arrive back at the hotel just in time to see the Merlin fly across the front of the car and out across the street. An Eastern Phoebe is singing in the trees across the street along with a Yellow-rumped Warbler.

2000 Hrs. I head back to the point hoping to check out the lake before the sun goes down. My only sighting is a single male Red-breasted Merganser calling and displaying to noone nearby. As I head back toward the parking lot I spot a female Ruffed Grouse next to the thick underbrush. I attempt a few pics but its getting dark and the bird is blocked by too many branches. Mike, Don, Lathe and Al show up and are heading to the beach. I join them and listen to bird stories. I get a chance to spend a few minutes gabbing with Al before leaving and find him to be a genuinely great human being. I’ll be contacting him if I ever need an Alaskan or Costa Rican bird guide! I thank my hosts and head back to the hotel just as the clouds begin to move in and the winds pick up. No owling for me tonight.

29 April 2007
Paradise, MI

0700 Hrs. As I pack the car I hear the Yellow-rumped Warbler singing across the street. I grab the binocs and look for it. A Red Crossbill flies in but disappears into the conifers. Just as I return to the car I hear the ‘yap-yap-yap’ of the Merlin and see it fly along the rooftop of the hotel. Its harrassing the Great Horned Owl statue atop the roof and is flying back and forth before landing on the TV antennae. I quickly grab the scope and digiscoping several images before the camera battery dies. I then grab the D70 only to run out of memory. Time to head home. Notable sightings along the way include Sandhill Cranes, another Ruffed Grouse, a fly-by Ring-necked Pheasant and several small flocks of Pine Siskins. Simply a great trip. Robin and I met some great people and were treated wonderfully by our WPBO hosts. Special thanks to Jerry Sadowski for his hospitality.