Oakwoods Metropark - 07May07

I rode the Vespa out to Oakwoods MP this afternoon to look for Field Sparrows and Eastern Meadowlarks. Winds were a bit gusty today but the sun made for a pleasant day. A few Eastern Meadowlarks were singing, but none were even close enough to digiscope. I decided to make my way to the Nature Center where I could at least watch the Tree Swallows fly over the Huron River. Blue Jays were visiting the feeder and I was finally able to photograph one (digiscope even). A Red-bellied Woodpecker also made a visit and I managed to digiscope a few images of it from about 60 feet. A Chipmunk made for a challenge as it rooted its way through the grass looking for seed. Trying to anticipate it popping its head up to feed made for a fun few minutes. A White-breasted Nuthatch and a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher also made brief appearances before I decided to move on. A Field Sparrow caught my attention on the way out and I attempted to get a photo of it from the seat of the Vespa, but the trees blocked my view. A word note: be careful riding a scooter with the scope/tripod on your back. I stopped to put it away and noticed the scope was awfully loose. Disaster averted, I headed out for a nice ride home.