Alaska's Inside Passage, Day 7 - 06 Jul 2007


At sea – 06 Jul 2007

0930 Hrs. Heading south toward Seattle a large pod of dolphins were swimming along side the boat, and jumping everywhere. In my haste to get pics, the camera dial spun from ‘A’ to ‘M’ and all my shots were blown. Damn camera! I was hoping to pick up some more pelagic species so I scanned the waves for sea birds. We soon ran into hundreds of Sooty Shearwaters


(1’s) Leach’s Storm Petrels, (1’s) Marbled Murrelets, (10’s) Fork-tailed Storm Petrels, and a Tufted Puffin

Black-footed Albatross was drifting lazily alongside and behind the boat, but I had to go to our disembarkation talk, so I couldn't chase it. Grrrr!



1140 Hrs. We passed Vancouver Islands.

1340 Hrs. Off the balcony I saw the fin of an Orca breaking the surface. Another Black-footed Albatross, Pink-footed Shearwater and more Leach’s Storm Petrels.

1800 Hrs. Glaucous-winged Gulls appeared. Six birds flying together. Common Murres were also swimming out away from the boat. Time to pack up the gear and get ready for bed. 

Ketchikan Gateway, AK, Central Coast, British Columbia, CA
Jul 6, 2007 9:30 AM
Protocol: Incidental
Checklist Comments:     At sea on NCL Cruise
8 species

Tufted Puffin (Fratercula cirrhata)  1
Marbled Murrelet (Brachyramphus marmoratus)  1
Common Murre (Uria aalge)  2
Black-footed Albatross (Phoebastria nigripes)  1
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel (Hydrobates furcatus)  10
Leach's Storm-Petrel (Hydrobates leucorhous)  2
Pink-footed Shearwater (Ardenna creatopus)  1
Sooty Shearwater (Ardenna grisea)  100

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S41976146

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Comments