November shorebirds - 04Nov07

I took a drive down to Erie Marsh Preserve this morning to scope some gulls and possible shorebirds. Knowing that the place is closed because of duck hunting I scoped the open waters from the entrance. A group of (8) Greater Yellowlegs was foraging just a few feet away, so I got nice views through the scope. It was overcast this morning so the birds were backlit, but I managed to get some decent digiscoped images (2), (3) and a short video before they flew off. Off in the distance a raft of ~100 Ruddy Ducks floated near shore, seemingly unconcerned with the shooting nearby. A small flock of Ring-billed, Herring and Bonaparte's Gulls were roosting nearby. Lake levels appear to be real low as mudflats were everywhere. A group of 15 Killdeer were foraging near a lotus patch.
I then stopped at the Whiting Power Plant at the foot of Erie Rd. and walked down to the beach. A pair of Golden-crowned Kinglets were chattering next to the fence and several Tree Sparrows were feeding among the phragmites. Walking the beach toward the warm water discharged I stopped and tried to digiscope a scolding Carolina Wren that was along the fenceline about 30 feet away. Try as I might I could not track the bird as it flitted among the branches, but it stopped long enough for me to get a digiscoped image at 1/17 sec. Out in the lake I saw dozens of Herring and Ring-billed Gulls but nothing else of interest.
Driving north I stopped at Luna Pier and scoped a pair of Great Black-backed Gulls and saw several Forster's Terns.
A stop at Point Mouillee HQ yielded a Bonaparte's Gull next to shore. I took several digiscoped images (2), (3), (4), (5) before a pair of Greater Yellowlegs flew in. I took a couple digiscoped images before they flushed. Out in the lake a flock of (35) Dunlin were on the mudflats along with another (6) Greater Yellowlegs.
Leaving for home I spotted (5) Great Egrets in the shallow waters of the Huron River.