December Dunlin! - 01 Dec 2007



I made a brief stop at the Whiting Plant this morning (Erie Rd, Monroe Co.) and found a single Dunlin picking its way through the icy shoreline near the warm water discharge of the Power Plant. Wind was coming in off the lake so there were only a hundred or so gulls about. Interestingly though were the numbers of Bonaparte's Gulls still haning around (12-18).

A Snowy Owl was seen in Point Place, Toledo (just across the MI/OH border along the Ottawa River) the past few days. I did not have any luck finding it, but did see a pair of Lesser Black-backed Gulls on the Ottawa River. A group of birders were possibly looking for an Iceland Gull but I did not see it.

Returning northward I spotted a Red-tailed Hawk alongside I-75 and was able to digiscope it just as it took off for new haunts!