Kona, Hawaii - 21Nov2007

We left Maui last evening and sailed back to the Big Island. This time to Kona, the dry side of the island. Without a scheduled tour, I decided to leave the ship and walk the coast next to the harbor. Old Airport State Park is just that. An old, abandoned park with miles of broken asphalt parking lots, broken glass, and scrubby shoreline. Hiking through town, past the gymnasium, and several ball diamonds, I came upon numerous Saffron Finches feeding in the grass among Common Mynas, Zebra Doves, and Golden Plovers. Making my way down to the coastline, which consisted of outcroppings of lava rock and shallow tidal pools, I spotted a Mongoose poking its head out between several large boulders. It froze long enough for a couple quick photos, then disappeared below. Several large crabs (or just their shells?) were resting atop larger boulders and made for a nice contrast against the ocean.

A pair of Yellow-billed Cardinals appeared along the rocks. They’re similar to Red-crested Cardinals but have yellowish bills and lack the crest. A few moments later the first of several Ruddy Turnstones appeared on the rocks and posed for a couple quick pics. It was at this moment that I realized that I had left my vest aboard the ship with my digiscoping adaptor, eyepiece magnifier, and extra memory cards (grrr!). I also learned how sharp lava rock can be when I cut my hand open sitting down to set up my scope. Proceeding on I managed to spot several Pacific Golden Plovers, some baby crabs in the sand (what camouflage!), and a Wandering Tattler next to shore.

Heading back inland, I spotted several more Golden Plover, small flocks of House Finches, and more Saffron Finches. A small family of (6) Mongoose were playing/foraging in the grass next to a walking path, and I managed to capture images of several of the critters before they disappeared into the thick underbrush. One inquisitive individual inspected me from a few feet away, and I managed to get a pic of it in the underbrush.

Returning to the ship I walked past a warehouse where I saw a couple of feral cats resting just a few feet away from a couple more inquisitive Mongoose. Just before getting on the ship I saw a single Java Sparrow in a tree above me.


5pm – Robin and I renewed our wedding vows on the forward of the cruise ship, along with several other couples. We were treated to a traditional Hawaiian ceremony, and were blessed with a gorgeous rainbow along the coast, and a gorgeous sunset next to storm clouds and rain along the horizon.