LEMP/Pt. Moo - 20 Jan 2008


A gray, bitterly cold morning greeted us this Saturday, but some brief sunshine convinced me to run down to Lake Erie Metropark to check for ducks. By the time I arrived there at ~9am the clouds had returned. 

Stopping along the lake and the boat marina it became apparent that there would be no ducks, geese or swans about. I decided then to return to the Marshland Museum and take a brief walk to look for Long-eared Owls. I got lucky and found them nested way back in the thickets where I had seen them a few weeks ago. As I walked along the trail one owl that was perched out in the open just a few feet away from me (unseen) suddenly flushed and scattered the other two. They flew briefly and dropped down several yards away. Not wanting to disturb them any further I backed up and headed back toward the car.

Cathy Carroll was approaching as I walked, so we talked and went back to look for the owls. We were able to see a pair of birds back in their usual roost, so continued on. 

About two-dozen Cardinals were feeding out in the road nearby, 


and several Black-capped Chickadees



Tree Sparrows and White-throated Sparrows


and White-breasted Nuthatches were approaching close enough to get some decent pics in the low light. 


Convinced that we were cold enough we said our goodbyes and headed our separate ways.

Lake Erie Metropark--Marshlands Nature Center, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 21, 2008 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     A gray, bitterly cold morning greeted us this Saturday, but some brief sunshine convinced me to run down to Lake Erie Metropark to check for ducks. By the time I arrived there at ~9am the clouds had returned.
5 species

Long-eared Owl (Asio otus)  3     I got lucky and found them nested way back in the thickets where I had seen them a few weeks ago. As I walked along the trail one owl that was perched out in the open just a few feet away from me (unseen) suddenly flushed and scattered the other two. They flew briefly and dropped down several yards away. Not wanting to disturb them any further I backed up and headed back toward the car.

Cathy Carroll was approaching as I walked, so we talked and went back to look for the owls. We were able to see a pair of birds back in their usual roost, so continued on.
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  6
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  4
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  4
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  22

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168246594

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I then took a drive down to Pt. Mouillee HQ to see if any activity was occurring. The gate near the entrance continued to host many American Tree Sparrows



White-throated Sparrows


Northern Cardinals


Red-bellied Woodpeckers, 



and White-breasted Nuthatches. I was able to even briefly see a Swamp Sparrow before it was flushed by approaching cars. Brief glimpses of sunshine allowed a few photos of the birds before I headed back home.

I just love the images of the Cardinals. They've been an nemesis bird for me ever since I started this silly hobby, but today I managed images of both male and female that I'm really happy with!

Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 21, 2008 10:15 AM - 10:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Dark, overcast, cold
6 species

Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  2
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  2
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  6
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  4
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168247728

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)