Pt. Mouillee SGA - 16 Jan 2008


The first sunshine I've seen in several weeks meant that I had to get out, even if it was just for an hour or so. I left work at 4pm and ran down to Pt. Mouillee to see if I could any pics of ducks on the lake. Turning down Campau Rd. I spotted an American Kestrel hovering over the golf course. It disappeared for a moment, then I found it roosting in tree about 50 yds. away. As I snapped away at it w/ the 400mm f/5.6 Sigma it took off, and I managed a shot or two of it in flight.



Continuing on I stopped at the gate and found a dozen or so Tree Sparrows, Black-capped Chickadees, 


and Northern Cardinals making short work on a pile of seed someone had left. 


I pulled off to the side and snapped a few shots in the waning sunlight. I then checked the lake and found no trace of waterfowl anywhere in the open waters. So I headed back to the entrance where I took a few dozen more pics. A White-breasted Nuthatch stayed long enough for a nice portrait.


A flyby Red-tailed Hawk distracted me long enough to drive over to where it had roosted and I took a few images of it in its shadowy haunt. Leaving the area, I found another Red-tailed Hawk roosting in a tree. This time, in full sunlight, I managed to capture several shots as it flew toward me.




Thinking my day was over, I drove another 100 yds. and was surprised to find an adult Cooper's Hawk roosting in yet another tree. A few snapshots and I headed for home.


Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ, Wayne, Michigan, US
Jan 16, 2008 4:00 PM - 4:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
7 species

Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii)  1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
American Kestrel (Falco sparverius)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  4
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  1
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  12
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168248979

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)