Detroit River - 15 Feb 2008


I made a brief run down to Bishop Park after work to see if the Greater Scaup were still there. I had seen two female and one male at lunchtime swimming under the pier, but as I arrived they flushed when a couple walked past them. So I ran down to the boat launch at St. Johns to see if any new duckies would show.


As I arrived there I found a male Ring-necked Duck and a pair of female Gadwall swimming at the foot of the launch among several Redhead








A female Canvasback was with them and the group made quite a show diving and chasing each other in the small patch of open water. 


After shooting a few pics somewhat into the sun I worked my way around to the opposite side of the launch and snapped a few pics of the female Gadwall as she preened on the open ice.


An American Black Duck


This is just an observation, but I can tell when its late in the winter when the Ring-necks and Gadwall show up along the near shore and become more approachable. Last year at this time I was able to get some nice images of these birds when I couldn't get near them in January and December.


Wyandotte Boat Launch, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 15, 2008 3:30 PM - 4:00 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Ice flows, river partially open
7 species

Gadwall (Mareca strepera)  2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  2
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes)  1
Canvasback (Aythya valisineria)  1
Redhead (Aythya americana)  12
Ring-necked Duck (Aythya collaris)  1
Greater Scaup (Aythya marila)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168162291

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)