Detroit River Waterfowl - 28 Jan 2008

Today's outing was a bit disappointing in that it was just dark and overcast. Ice is moving on the river and the ducks are moving farther out. Arriving at the foot of Perry Pl. an American Coot appeared next to shore and quickly swam away as I approached. As I watched it swim away a female Common Merganser flew in, and I managed to capture it in flight. This composite image was generated from three separate images.

Driving down to the foot of Southfield things were a bit quiet. A fly-by Mute Swan was followed a few minutes later by a fly-by Tundra Swan.

The low light made photography difficult, and most of my flight shots were not the sharpest. I liked the composition of a few images, and wanted to salvage the pics, so I applied some special filters in Photoshop to turn the photos into watercolors! Using the Dry-Brush filter I managed to create a couple nice keepers!