Learnin' Gulls - 07 Feb 2008


I just received an MB-D10 battery pak for the Nikon D300 and today I had to try it out. Not only does the pak give me a vertical grip and extra battery power, but now gives me 8 frames per second when shooting in continous high-speed mode. So, I took it down to the Detroit River here in Wyandotte to test it on birds in flight (BIFs).

An ice jam in the river today brought lots of gulls in close, including a 2nd-cycle Glaucous Gull I found immediately upon arrival at the boat launch at the foot of Clinton St. (just north of BASF). 



I had originally posted a sighting of an Iceland Gull, and believed it to be feeding next to a 1st-cycle Great Black-backed Gull on the ice, but after doing a bit of research I realized that I was mistaken (or so I think). This forced me to start evaluating all the flight shots of the fly-by gulls, and I decided to start researching the various developmental stages of the birds I photographed. So, I put together composite images of my flight shots so that I (and you) could evaluate the field marks that distinguish the different cycle-years of the local gulls. So without further adieu, let's start w/ the Glaucous Gull.

I originally believed it to be an Iceland Gull next to a 1st-winter GBBG and a 1st-winter Herring Gull. After reviewing Sibley's, Howell's, and National Geographic's books, however, I'm concluding a Glaucous Gull based on it's two-toned bill and short wing projection. 


The dark gull in the middle appears to be a 1st-winter Herring Gull, while the slightly smaller and paler bird to its right is a 1st-winter Ring-billed Gull. A 1st-winter GBBG would have a more black-and-white appearance and a whiter head with an all-dark, heavy bill, so I conclude that the middle bird is a Herring Gull. By contrast, a 1st-winter Lesser Black-backed Gull is uniformly dark brown with a dark eye-patch on a lighter head.

Iceland Gulls appear to have all-dark bills their first and second winters, so the bicolored bill on this suggests Glaucous. (I'm not experienced enough to address hybrids, so I won't go there...).

Take a look at these 1st-winter Herring Gulls with its brown coloration, light heads and bi-colored bills. To me there is confusion here 'cause they could also look like GBBG's....





This bird appears to be a 3rd-cycle Herring Gull based on the amount of contrast between the yellow eyes and the brown coloration still on the neck, and just a touch of brown still on the wings. The P10 (?) primaries lack to white patches that are seen on the adult birds.


These birds appear to be non-breeding adult Herring Gulls based on the gray feathering still visible on the head and neck. 





Other adults appear to be already in breeding plumage based on their all-white heads and bright red orbitals.


Ring-billed Gulls are easier to deal with relative to Herring Gulls. Here are some presumed 1st-cycle RBG's. 



This one appears to be a 2nd-winter Ring-billed Gull based on the amount of gray on the head and the lack of white spots on the black primaries. 





At this point I believe this one to be a female Mallard....



Please offer corrections if I appear way off! Thanks for looking!