Lunar Eclipse - 20 Feb 2008


Tonight provided a rare opportunity to witness a full lunar eclipse! Between 8:45 - 10:00 pm the earth passed between the sun and moon, and with clear skies, cast a distinct shadow that progressed from lower left to upper right across the face of Mr. Moon. The eclipse culminated with a nice pink-orange glow-ball in night sky!

I drove down to Monroe Community College this evening and made a quick stop at Pt. Mouillee Headquarters. Only a handfull of Mute Swans were visible on the still-iced Huron River. But a nice sunset and clear skies provided a nice view of the full moon even in the twilight. 


Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ, Wayne, Michigan, US
Feb 20, 2008 5:30 PM - 5:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
1 species

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168158802

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I made a quick stop along Roberts Rd. and called in (2) Screech Owls. I was unable to see them, but their tremolo calls echoed from both sides of the car. 

Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
Feb 20, 2008 6:00 PM - 6:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.4 mile(s)
1 species

Eastern Screech-Owl (Megascops asio)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S168158963

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

After a few minutes I drove on to the college, where I presented my talk: Great Lakes Waterfowl: Status and Where to Find Them to members of the Erie Shores Birding Association (I was asked ever so discretely to talk fast so folks could see the eclipse starting at 8:45...:)).

Leaving the college at 9 pm the eclipse had already progressed about a 1/4 across the lower left side of the moon (does a round object even have a side?), so I set up my scope and took a handfull of digiscoped images with the Coolpix P5000.




Driving as quickly as possible without hitting pedestrians on the sidewalk I made my way to Sterling State Park where I found the moon to be over 3/4 covered. Stopping at the entrance to the State Park I took another bunch of pics through the scope.


By the time I had reached Roberts Rd. the eclipse had completely covered the moon, leaving the nice pink-orange glow in the sky. 



Trying to take an image at this point was extremely difficult, due to the low light and long exposures required to capture the still-moving object rotating around the Earth. I managed a keeper (see top). What fun!

A big hearty thanks to Chuck Owens for telling me about the eclipse. I would've missed it otherwise. Thanks, Chuck! And folks, check out Chuck's artwork at http://www.charlesowensgallery.com/ . His stuff is wonderful!