Nesting GHO - 12 Mar 2008


Acting on a tip from a fellow birder I took a quick run at lunchtime to look for a nesting Great Horned Owl. This is a local owl (Wayne County), and I'm being secretive about its location due to several factors: mainly safety for the owl and for anyone trying to observe it. I was able to get a few grab shots from inside the car as it peered down at me. But after a few minutes she closed her eyes and went back to sleep.






I returned after work for a few minutes to see if I could get a digiscoped shot, but the sun was shining in a bad, side-lighty direction. Still, I was able to grab a keeper image that I feel is nicer than the pics w/ the D300 and 400mm f/5.6 Sigma.

Thanks for the tip, Don Sherwood!

Fort St, Riverview, Wayne, Michigan, US
Mar 12, 2008 12:00 PM - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Nesting in trees in median.
1 species

Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42076931

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)