Sad Ending for a Magnificent Bird - 29 May 2008

I was saddened to find the carcass of the very dark-phased Rough-legged Hawk that I got to photograph and digiscope on the 13th of this month. While riding along the Middle Causeway of Pt. Mouillee I saw a pair of large wings protruding from the grass on the side of the road. As I approached I could make out the white underwings and the dark borders of the very hawk that I saw earlier this month. The bird was pretty well decomposed but still recognized as a dark-phased Roughie. I took a few pics for record sake, but won't post them here out of respect and utter grossness. I'm guessing that it must've been ill, which is why I was able to see it so late in the spring. Although its a shame to see, I'll always remember this majestic bird. Fly on, little friend!