30-minute Birding! - 22 Oct 2008


I took a quick run down to Pt. Mouillee HQ this afternoon after work to see if anything was going on. Wow! I pulled into the parking lot at the HQ's off of Campau Rd., and immediately found a Yellow-rumped Warbler feeding on insects near the outbuildings. As I pulled up to it it flew off a few feet, landed in the groundcover, and proceeded to provide me with 100+ photos as it fed and posed just a few feet from the car. I bet I could've caught it - if only I had some baloney....






I then drove over to the platform next to the boat ramp, where Calvin Brennan and company were hawking watches (or watching hawks?). No sooner had I asked how things were going, when someone yelled out "Golden Eagle!". I snapped several frames as the bird passed high over with a couple of Red-tailed Hawks


A second Golden Eagle would fly by just a few minutes later, along with hundreds of Turkey Vultures, several Red-shouldered Hawks, and a Rough-legged Hawk


A pair of immature Bald Eagles rounded out the action just as thousands of American Crows began moving overhead in large flocks.

In between the raptor migration several Forster's Terns were feeding out in the river mouth, and provided some flight shots for the camera. I could barely keep up with them as they dove and splashed for minnows.





The winds were starting to blow, and clouds were moving in, so I headed back out to the car. I had only been there 30 minutes! As I left I spotted a Great Blue Heron feeding in the creek bed just a few feet from the road. Great trip!


Pte. Mouillee SGA--HQ, Wayne, Michigan, US
Oct 22, 2008 3:00 PM - 3:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     I took a quick run down to Pt. Mouillee HQ this afternoon after work to see if anything was going on. Wow! I pulled into the parking lot at the HQ's off of Campau Rd
10 species

Forster's Tern (Sterna forsteri)  3     river mouth
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  100     steady steam of TV's from several kettles. 813 were reported that day including 356 between 2-4 pm.
Golden Eagle (Aquila chrysaetos)  2     I drove over to the platform next to the boat ramp, where Calvin Brennan and company were hawking watches (or watching hawks?). No sooner had I asked how things were going, when someone yelled out "Golden Eagle!". I snapped several frames as the bird passed high over with a couple of Red-tailed Hawks. A second Golden Eagle would fly by just a few minutes later, along with hundreds of Turkey Vultures, several Red-shouldered Hawks, and a Rough-legged Hawk. Note white spots on underwings
Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus)  2
Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus)  3
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  25     67 were counted between 2-4 by Detroit River Hawk Watch
Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus)  1     light morph
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  500     several thousand were crossing today at HQ
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42123228

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)