Crane Creek redux - 22 May 2009


After a 16-hr work day Thursday I decided to grab a couple hours birding Friday morning before heading back into work. Getting up early I headed back to Crane Creek and the boardwalk for one last time this season.


At 6:30 am I was the first car in the parking lot at the west end of the boardwalk, just moments ahead of a nice couple from Maryland. Willow Flycatcher and Eastern Phoebe were the only notable birds prior to reaching the lot. It was cool and windy this morning, and the leaves had really popped out since Tuesday.

A Cape May Warbler calling from the canopy got our attention as we entered the Boardwalk area. Canada and Magnolia Warblers were also calling, but already the number of birds seemed down from earlier in the week. I managed a few pics of a Gray Catbird, and heard a Canada Warbler in a bush nearby, but failed to find it. Blackpoll Warblers were abundant in the area, but also impossible to see. I did manage a momentary view of singing Red-eyed Vireo.




I walked the boardwalk for a good hour or so w/o a bird to photograph, but got to bone up on calls: Alder Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Black-and-White Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Yellow Warbler, Black-billed Cuckoo, Red-eyed and Warbling Vireos, Baltimore Orioles and more Blackpolls.


I had brief glimpses of a Prothonotary Warbler first thing, but failed to see any on my loop. I decided to stop by the observation tower for a few minutes before calling it quits, and admire a Tree Swallow resting nearby. 

As I watched the bird I heard the distinct "Tchip!" of a Prothonotary Warbler. Turning my head I found a female bird preening in a snag just a few feet away. I directed other birders nearby to the bird, and we all enjoyed several minutes of clear looks at the bird. I got several keeper pics before she finally headed off to deeper cover, and felt like I had gotten what I came for. I packed up and was back to work by 10 am.
What a great place! Thanks to Kenn and Kim Kaufman for inventing this place... :)



Magee Marsh--Boardwalk, Lucas, Ohio, US
May 22, 2009 6:30 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.5 mile(s)
18 species

Black-billed Cuckoo (Coccyzus erythropthalmus)  1
Alder Flycatcher (Empidonax alnorum)  1
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii)  1
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  1
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  3
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  1
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  1
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  1
Prothonotary Warbler (Protonotaria citrea)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  1
Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  1
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  1
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  2
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S166137299

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)