Red Knot @ Pt. Mouillee - 23 May 2009


Friday morning (May 22) David Boon sent me an e-mail that well over 100 Whimbrel were visible on the mudflats at the north end of Cell 3. This report came on the heels of Karl Overman's report, a day earlier, of Whimbrels at Pt. Mouillee. Also seen was a breeding-plumaged Red-necked Phalarope.


I only had a couple of hours Saturday morning so I opted to park at Roberts Rd. and go directly to Cell 3 on bike. I scanned the mudflats but quickly realized that there were no Whimbrels visible. I did see several pair of Black-bellied Plovers among the Dunlin and Semipalmated Sandpipers. Riding to the east side of Cell 3 I spotted a Red Knot far out at the edge of the mud flat.



I managed a couple of "long-distance" digiscoped images of the Knot using the self-timer. Closer to shore I also spotted a Stilt Sandpiper feeding among several Short-billed Dowitchers. This bird was in basic plumage and easily blended w/ the dowitchers.

I then rode to the north shore and attempted to scope the birds to see if I could get any closer. No dice. I did see a pair of White-rumped Sandpipers feeding among several Semipalmated Sandpipers, and the size difference helped verify their ID.


Heading back to the car I stopped at the NW corner and spent some time digiscoping the Dunlin and Semipalmated Sandpipers that fed just a few feet from the dike. I managed a few keepers of both birds, and just before leaving I spotted a single Whimbrel roosting at the edge of the mudflat a hundred yards away.


Pte. Mouillee SGA (permit required Sep 1-Dec 15), Monroe, Michigan, US
May 23, 2009 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Friday morning (May 21) David Boon sent me an e-mail that well over 100 Whimbrel were visible on the mudflats at the north end of Cell 3. This report came on the heels of Karl Overman's report, a day earlier, of Whimbrels at Pt. Mouillee. Also seen was a breeding-plumaged Red-necked Phalarope.
8 species

Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)  2
Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)  1
Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus)  3
Red Knot (Calidris canutus)  1     Cell 3
Stilt Sandpiper (Calidris himantopus)  1     basic plumage feeding among 3 short-billed dowitchers; forward-leaning, pot-bellied, long droopy bill.
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  12
White-rumped Sandpiper (Calidris fuscicollis)  2
Semipalmated Sandpiper (Calidris pusilla)  12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42212706

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)