Third Time's a Charm! - 25 Aug 2009


After two attempts at trying to capture decent hummingbird photos I was ready to try a new tactic. This time I'd use the wireless flash system set to Manual (M 1/8) which would give me ~ 1/5700 sec. flash duration and a chance to stop some wing motion. And, with a flash positioned to the rear with a diffuser, hopefully I could reduce some of the shadowing I got during my last attempt. I set the camera to Manual mode and shot 1/320 sec. at f/11, and set Exposure compensation to -1.0. I then crossed my fingers and headed off to Carleton.

I arrived at Jo and Jay's house and headed for the back deck. As Jo and I looked for a place to set up the camera and the flash units the Ruby-throated Hummingbirds were buzzing all around us. I decided to try the back hanging feeder, and began to set up the tripods. Meanwhile a juvenile male Ruby-throat landed atop a plant stalk next to the railing. He seemed unconcerned w/ our presence and sat quietly for several minutes while we walked back and forth across the deck. He then flew to one of the window feeders and then returned to to the same perch. Change of plans!


I walked over to the deck and set up flash units on either side of it, and proceeded to photograh him for the next several minutes. Every few seconds it would fly off, and then return to the same perch. I was able to take dozens of images using the macro setting on the 400mm Sigma.










We then moved several feeders from the deck to the sunroom window, and I attempted to photograph from inside the doorway. For the next 1.5 hrs I waited patiently for the hummers to come in and hover at the feeders. Without direct sunlight on the birds the flash was generating very dark backgrounds, which is good for trying to get wing-stopping motion. However, I was still a bit too slow to get stop-action images. I'm not disappointed, since it appears more natural to see the wing motion. The females (all-white throats) came most often, followed by juveniles, then the adult male, who spent more time chasing away birds than feeding.






I am truly amazed at the beauty of these tiny jewels of nature! These birds spend more time chasing each other from the feeders than they do actually feeding. As one would hover at the feeder, it would get dive-bombed by 2 or more other birds. I was lucky to 'finally' capture a male bird w/ its irridescent red throat gorget.

The Bald-faced Hornets and Yellowjackets were in the area and trying to defend the feeders, as well. Many a hummer would get chased away by a hornet or wasp as it came in to feed. At one point I was trying to photograph a male bird at the feeder and noticed two juvenile birds inside the house hovering next to my shoulder. They stayed only momentarily, then flew back out the doorway as if they'd been here before. Neat!


As evening came, I had to increase flash power (M 1/4) and ISO (400) to maintain exposure. But I didn't want to over stress the birds so we returned the feeders to their original locations and allowed the birds to continue their routine.


What a great show! Thanks, Jo! Love You!

3154 O'Hara Road, Carleton, MI, Monroe, Michigan, US
Aug 25, 2009 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     Yard
1 species

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  4

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S166058194

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)