Maple Bay NA, Antrim Co. - 12 Sep 2009


Located about 5 miles south of Elk Rapids on US-31 (just as the road widens to 2 lanes) sits a small natural area that peaked my interest this morning. After dropping Robin off in Traverse City I stopped by the check out Maple Bay Natural Area.

A short drive through ~ 50 acres of sunflowers brought me to the parking lot and entrance. I grabbed the scope and hiked down the approximately 100 yd. path through maple / white pine forest to the shores of Lake Michigan. Along the way I spotted a Chipmunk sitting still, hoping I'd pass w/o notice. But I couldn't resist a few photos from the trail. As I exited the woods and reached the beach a quick glance reminded me of a much smaller Fisherman's Island State Park. Sandy beach and dune areas adjacent to a quiet, sheltered bay brought feelings of instant peace and serenity. 

I heard Black-capped Chickadees and a Pine Warbler off in the distance, and spotted a Savannah Sparrow perched in a small willow next to the water. A short hike along the beach didn't yield any birds, but may produce later in the season.

I headed back through the woods to the car, hearing a Hairy Woodpecker along the way. As I slowly drove back out through the field I heard Eastern Meadowlarks and Bobolinks still singing this late in the season. A large flock of Savannah Sparrows, Song Sparrows and Vesper Sparrows brought me out of the car w/ scope in hand.

I spent the next half hour walking along the path digiscoping juvenile and adult Savannah Sparrows as they perched atop drooping sunflower heads. Lighting was perfect, and the birds were cooperative for the most part.





I had hoped for some nice Vesper Sparrow shots, but had to settle for a single bird better than 60 feet away. 


Song Sparrows were present, but looked beat up, drab, and bedraggled next to the handsome Savannah Sparrows that appeared proud to show their bright, shiny coat feathers.

I'll be heading back to this place in the spring looking to find meadowlarks and Bobolinks, and hopefully Grasshopper Sparrows, as well.

Maple Bay Natural Area, Grand Traverse, Michigan, US
Sep 12, 2009 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
8 species

Hairy Woodpecker (Dryobates villosus)  1
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  2
Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)  2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  6
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Bobolink (Dolichonyx oryzivorus)  1
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna)  1
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42235090

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)