Sutton's Bay Hummers - 10 Sep 2009


We headed into Traverse City this morning at 7:30 am. As we left town a Pileated Woodpecker was picking at a tree, in open view, along side M-88. I couldn't stop... Oh, its gonna be a good day!

Ellsworth Rd and M-88, Antrim, Michigan, US
Sep 10, 2009 7:30 AM - 7:40 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
1 species

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165975991

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

After dropping Robin off for her class, I headed north along M-22 into the Leelanau Peninsula toward Sutton's Bay. Downtown Sutton's Bay has a small marsh w/ a surrounding boardwalk, so I decided to check it out. Parking at the Visitor's Center parking lot I grabbed the cameras and scope and headed toward the dense, marshy area.

In seconds I spotted several Ruby-throated Hummingbirds feeding in the thick growth of flowering Jewelweed on the south side. One bird perched on a dead snag just inches away, but flew away as I raised my camera. Still, I managed a few photos as several birds zipped from tree to tree. 










Overhead, a Purple Finch was singing atop a dead limb. Juvenile Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were popping in and out of view, but not close enough to photograph or digiscope. The early morning haze illuminated things nicely, so I patiently waited for some photo opps, but few would come.


Suttons Bay Boardwalk, Leelanau, Michigan, US
Sep 10, 2009 10:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
3 species

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  3
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)  1
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165977156

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

With things slowing down, I decided to check out the Sutton's Bay Sewage Ponds on Richter Rd. Luckily the place was open, and one of the biologists gave me permission to walk the ponds. Only shorebirds were Killdeer, and other than a dozen or so Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, and Wood Ducks, the place was quiet. A pair Pied-billed Grebes were swimming off in the distant pond.

Suttons Bay Sewage Ponds, Leelanau, Michigan, US
Sep 10, 2009 11:15 AM - 11:35 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
5 species

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  2
Blue-winged Teal (Spatula discors)  2
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  12
Pied-billed Grebe (Podilymbus podiceps)  2
Killdeer (Charadrius vociferus)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165978014

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I continued on north along M-22 to Kehl / Leg Lake and the Natural Area just south of the Leelanau State Park. Things were also quiet save for several Black-capped Chickadees and a pair of Great Blue Herons. Since it was noonish, I decided to head back to Sutton's Bay.

Kehl Lake Natural Area, Leelanau, Michigan, US
Sep 10, 2009 11:45 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
2 species

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165978218

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

Along the way I stopped along Sugarbush and Snyder Rds and found a loose flock of Eastern Bluebirds (6), Vesper Sparrows (2), Pine Warbler (1), Red-headed Woodpecker (1), Northern Flicker (1), Savannah Sparrow (3), and Blue Jay (2). The birds were moving, and although I chased w/ the scope I couldn't find any birds willing to stop long enough for worthwhile views, so I had to settle for fleeting glimpses.

Sugarbush Road and Snyder Road, Leelanau, Michigan, US
Sep 10, 2009 12:00 PM - 12:10 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
7 species

Red-headed Woodpecker (Melanerpes erythrocephalus)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  2
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  6
Vesper Sparrow (Pooecetes gramineus)  2
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  3
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165978598

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

After lunch at Boone's Prime Time Pub, I decided to head back to the marshy boardwalk in town. I was glad I did, as the hummers were actively chasing each other and feeding in the jewelweed. So, for the next 1 1/2 hrs. I digiscoped hummingbirds while they roosted in trees, and snapped flight shots as they fed among the Jewelweed. It amazed me how much energy these little birds expend just chasing each other all over creation. No sooner would one bird land in a tree limb to rest would it be attacked by one or two other hummers, then off they'd go! I attempted to get some flight shots of them as they'd rise up above the tree and tussle in the sky, but couldn't focus fast enough.








A Rose-breasted Grosbeak (juvenile) posed for several minutes in the open brush a few feet away, showing just a hint of red on its breast and suggesting that I wait to see him next year when he's in full breeding plumage! I dunno, I think he looks quite handsome as is. Unfortunately the nearby Song Sparrows looked incredibly dingy and dull by comparison...




A female Ruby-throated Hummingbird landed a few feet away in the dense brush, and posed long enough for several images. At one point it was preening, and gave me an image where it appeared to be sleeping w/ its head resting on the tree branch. But moments later it flew away to join the chase w/ several other birds. With birds appearing/disappearing about every 20 minutes or so I decided that I'd had enough opportunity to capture the experience. So I packed my gear and headed back to Traverse City.



Suttons Bay Boardwalk, Leelanau, Michigan, US
Sep 10, 2009 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
3 species

Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  3
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165978858

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

I spent the next couple hours in Border's Bookstore deleting hundreds of missed shots, and tagging dozens more keepers. Several were not quite as sharp as I'd like, so instead of deleting them, I converted them to watercolors by applying filters in Photoshop! So all in all, it was a great day birding downtown Sutton's Bay!