Possible Cackling Goose at Detroit Zoo - 25 Oct 2009


Gorgeous day to be out, so Robin and I headed to Royal Oak to walk around the Detroit Zoo. Neither of us had been there in decades, so it was truly a wonderful afternoon walking among the fall colors and the many animals.

As we were leaving the park I spotted a flock of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) feeding on the lawn to our left. Among them was a single bird that I suspected to be a Cackling Goose (B. hutchinsii hutchinsii) based on its extremely small size relative to the flock. I quickly took several portrait shots of the bird w/ the Nikon D300/Sigma 400 before it wandered off into the shade. The short neck, short, stubby bill, and well defined light-edges to the wing feathers alerted me to a possible Cackler.

Standing there, I wished I had a smaller lens since I was too close to get comparison shots w/ the other birds. But I at least photographed a nearby Canada Goose (left) to show differences in coloration and bill size.


David Sibley gives a wonderful narrative regarding Canada vs. Cackling Goose description, referencing works by Angus Wilson and Mark Stackhouse to summarize differences between the many subspecies of Branta sp. Bill Schmoker has some nice images of Cackling Geese vs. Canada for reference, as well. Other good references include Harry Krueger, and our own Matt Hysell.


The geese feeding nearby were significantly smaller than those I regularly see at Pt. Mouillee (B. c. maxima) , so I'm guessing that these birds are the interior race (B. c. interior). My goose-in-question shows traits described by all as short-billed, sloping forehead, and light-colored (besides overall smaller size). I was lucky enough to hear it honk - a much higher-pitched honk that we normally associate w/ the larger Canada Geese. So this appears to support descriptions of Cackling Goose. What makes me hesitate is a statement that Mr. Sibley writes in his description:






Cackling Cackling Goose B. h. minima is strictly a Pacific population, with few if any acceptable records east of the Rockies (they are fairly common in captivity). It is also the smallest and shortest-billed, with no overlap in size with Lesser Canada Goose. Aleutian Cackling Goose B. h. leucopareia is a rare goose with a very limited range and few records east of the Sierra-Cascade mountains. Taverner's Cackling Goose B. h. taverneri nests in Alaska and apparently winters mainly in Washington and Oregon, and must be rare east of the Rockies. Richardson's Cackling Goose B. h. hutchinsii nests in Arctic Canada and winters mainly in Texas and Mexico.

Since I was at the zoo, I have to question whether this is a bird he mentions as being a captive? Am I looking at a Richardson's bird (B. h. hutchinsii)? It certainly shows no evidence of being a zoo bird, but my experience w/ these birds is poor... Still, I've learned something, so its worth documenting...

Detroit Zoo, Oakland, Michigan, US
Oct 25, 2009 1:00 PM
Protocol: Incidental
Checklist Comments:     Robin and I day trip to zoo.
2 species

Cackling Goose (Branta hutchinsii)  1     As we were leaving the park I spotted a flock of Canada Geese (Branta canadensis) feeding on the lawn to our left. Among them was a single bird that I suspected to be a Cackling Goose (B. hutchinsii hutchinsii) based on its extremely small size relative to the flock.The geese feeding nearby were significantly smaller than those I regularly see at Pt. Mouillee (B. c. maxima) , so I'm guessing that these birds are the interior race (B. c. interior). My goose-in-question shows traits described by all as short-billed, sloping forehead, and light-colored (besides overall smaller size). I was lucky enough to hear it honk - a much higher-pitched honk that we normally associate w/ the larger Canada Geese. So this appears to support descriptions of Cackling Goose.
Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  24

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42236654

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)