Pt. Pelee - 17 Oct 2009


I was up past midnight last Friday finishing the most recent blog and decided that the next day's trip would be to Canada. With only a few hours sleep (Asia woke me at 4 am to feed her) I dragged myself out of bed and grabbed the gear. I decided to head to Pt. Pelee and Hillman Marsh to see if anything interesting would turn up.


Once past customs at the Ambassador Bridge I headed out Highway-3 toward Leamington, arriving at the park just past 7 am. It was still dark, but I managed to see a Red-tailed Hawk fly up to one of the poles along the highway. As I entered the park I found a small flock of 4 Hermit Thrushes playing in the road. Since the park was still closed I pulled off along one of the W Beach parking lots to wait for someone to open up. A Blue-headed Vireo was singing overhead, but I couldn't locate it in the dark. A walk out to the beach yielded dozens of Common Mergansers and Canada Geese. A few White-throated Sparrows and Ruby-crowned Kinglets were moving in the underbrush. Wow, was it cold! I bundled up, put on the gloves and cap, and headed toward the Marsh Boardwalk.

The sun was just starting to appear as I pulled into the parking lot at the Marsh Boardwalk. Blue Jays and Red-winged Blackbirds were streaming in overhead, and large numbers of American Crows were flying toward the point. As I approached the boardwalk a pair of Winter Wrens appeared momentarily before ducking back into the cattails. I stopped for a few moments to watch a pair of Swamp Sparrows foraging along the near shore just a few feet away.

As I ventured onto the boardwalk the pair of Winter Wrens reappeared on the railing ahead of me. I steadied the monopod, Nikon D300 and Sigma 400mm lens and fired away, hoping to capture something acceptable in the extreme low light. Boys and girls, never underestimate the power of a sturdy monopod: I managed to capture this fella (at left) at 1/40 sec. shooting at ISO 640, Aperture-priority, f/8. I would've needed at least 1/400 sec to manage the same shot hand-held! I continued to follow the pair and photograph them as they permitted. 





An Eastern Phoebe joined them, but managed to stay between me and the sunrise the entire length of the boardwalk. Dozens of Wood Ducks and several Great Blue Herons were out in the marsh and flushed as I slid along the icy boards and bounced on the floating platform.

I was walking the boardwalk in a counter-clockwise direction hoping to get the sun behind me as soon as possible. As I reached the first turn I spotted a pair of Dunlin and a Least Sandpiper feeding just out from the wooden path. My fingers were too numb to tighten the loose spotting scope, but I did manage a couple photos w/ the D300 for record. Unfortunately the birds were severely backlit, so digiscoping was next to impossible. Luckily, a pair of Swamp Sparrows appeared to my left, and one bird flew out onto a twig just as the sun illuminated the marsh  This 'Golden-hour Swamp Sparrow' stayed only briefly before disappearing back into the emergent vegetation. 


Curiously enough, a Yellow-rumped Warbler appeared a few seconds later, and landed on the same twig. But the sun had disappeared behind the clouds, so the view appeared entirely different! A Greater Yellowlegs was calling in the distance.








I continued to follow the Yellow-rump and take photos as opportunity permitted. It was soon joined by a second bird that appeared along the boardwalk. 


Just ahead a Yellow Warbler appeared momentarily on the railing and glowed yellow w/ the reappearing sunlight. 



A surprisingly late (for me) Eastern Meadowlark was perched on the railing several meters ahead and flew off as I watched it through the binoculars. Neat!

In the woods and parking lot near the rest rooms I ran into dozens of American Robins, Hermit Thrushes, White-throated and White-crowned Sparrows, Field and Chipping Sparrows, and the first Dark-eyed Juncos. Overhead in the junipers I found a male and female Purple Finch eating juniper berries. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet (left) appeared in the junipers near the road, and foraged in the sunlight. A Chipping Sparrow was nearby and also appeared for a moment. I then spotted a Golden-crowned Kinglet feeding just above them. Cedar Waxwings flew in and began feeding. Things were hopping!








It was just before 10 am when I arrived at the Visitor Center. It was still closed, so I walked around the parking lot trying to photograph the numbers of White-crowned Sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos feeding among the dogwood berries. I found another Winter Wren behind the building. Just as I was focusing on a Song Sparrow in the dogwoods a Sharp-shinned Hawk blasted out of the brush and went after it. The sparrow disappeared into the thickets and the hawk bulleted into the trees. Too fast to follow... Overhead Red-tailed Hawks, more crows, Sharpies, and Blue Jays were streaming toward the tip. 






A juvenile Northern Goshawk passed by close enough for a composite image (left).


Once the Visitor Center opened I checked the book for recent sightings, but nothing of interest in the past several days.

As I drove toward the point I was amazed at the flocks of Juncos everywhere. They've definitely arrived. Parking at the small lot near the tip I was immediately greeted by an Eastern Phoebe that was perched in the tree in front of me. 


As I got out of the car and photographed it I was immediately aware of the huge numbers of American Crows flying overhead. They were heading toward the tip, but the strong southeasterly winds were driving them back. 


Red-tailed Hawks were massing as well, forming small kettles of 4 - 6 birds at a time. Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks were flying back and forth along the east beach and were attacking the smaller birds. I was unable to catch the accipiters moving by, but the Red-tails were more cooperative. As I headed toward the beach to scope the lake a Cooper's Hawk whistled past my head going after a sparrow. It missed.

I scoped the west side of Lake Erie from the parking lot and found huge rafts of Red-breasted Mergansers and Lesser Scaup. About 2-3 dozen Surf Scoters were swimming among them, but were too far out to digiscope. Durn! A small flock of Bonaparte's Gulls flew in from the lake and passed quickly overhead.


As I walked to the tip the winds picked up. Arriving there I found the tip almost non-existent as the white-capped waves washed muddy waters across the sand. My only companion was a Yellow-rumped Warbler that was feeding on insects just inches from me. Pretty bird!



Returning from the tip I stopped at the shuttle bus drop-off and found a fellow photographer w/ his Nikon D300 and 200-400 mm setup. Nice stuff! As we talked a Hermit Thrush appeared in the road and offered a couple quick pics. 


Overhead more Red-tails and Sharpies were moving. On my way back to the car I found a couple of Yellow-rumps feeding on Juniper berries . Interesting!

Next stop, DeLaurier Trail! I was hoping to get some digiscoping in today, so I pulled into the lot and had a quick snack while dozens of juncos and Chipping Sparrows foraged along the wooden fence line and grass. Of note was the 'lack' of Tree Sparrows. I spent a few minutes digiscoping a Chipping Sparrow in the grass, then went after several of the nearby juncos. After that, the place was a disappointment. No birds to speak of along the trail. While more Red-tails were flying overhead I decided to head toward Hillman Marsh. It was now a few minutes past noon.



Hillman Marsh was a disappointment. Water levels were high, and there were no birds. I found a couple of Swamp Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers and Common Yellowthroats on my way to the shorebird habitat, but that was it. I did photograph this lovely Bronze Copper (thanks to Roger Kuhlman for the ID) on my way out. With that, I headed toward the bridge and back home to get some sleep...


Editor's note: I had originally mis-identified the Yellow Warbler above as a Nashville Warbler. I had at least narrowed the bird down to those two, but chose the latter (wrong-way Jourdan strikes again!) Thanks to Allen Chartier for setting me straight with these comments:
"Even the dullest Nashville Warbler would have way, way more gray on the head than your bird. And, Nashvilles have a yellow throat and yellow undertail coverts, but white in the middle of the belly. Nashvilles also have plain green wings with no sign of wing bars, and though it isn't visible in your photos Yellow Warblers have yellow tail spots and Nashvilles don't have any. And a more subtle feature, Nashvilles have a pointier bill typical of the genus Vermivora while Yellows have a more blunt-tipped bill. I've attached a photo of a dull immature female Nashville in-hand to illustrate my points.


Thanks for the correction(s), Allen!

Point Pelee National Park (general location for observations within the park), Essex, Ontario, CA
Oct 17, 2009 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
20.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Includes nearby Hillman Marsh
31 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  23
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  1
Surf Scoter (Melanitta perspicillata)  24
Common Merganser (Mergus merganser)  23
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator)  24
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  2
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  1
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus)  2     chasing robins through brush; overhead, as well.
American Goshawk (Accipiter atricapillus)  1     juvenile;
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  2
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  1
Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  1
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  100
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  500
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula)  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  1
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis)  2
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus)  1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  6
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)  1
Chipping Sparrow (Spizella passerina)  1
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  1
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  2
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Swamp Sparrow (Melospiza georgiana)  2
Eastern Meadowlark (Sturnella magna)  1
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  100
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  1     originally ID'd as a female Nashville Warbler but later confirmed by Allen Chartier; yellow eyeing and less 'green' relative to female common yellowthroat
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42236429

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)