Plovers! - 23 Nov 2009


After lunch on Pine Island, we returned to the condo just in time to watch Peyton Manning rally the Colts to another last-minute win. With the game over, Robin and I said our goodbyes and headed for an overnight stay at the Holiday Inn Ft. Meyers Beach before heading back to Detroit. I was in search of plovers, and the lagoons at Estero Beach were the place to go. I wasn't disappointed!

After an early Monday morning breakfast I grabbed the gear and headed to the beach and the adjacent lagoons. Just behind the Holiday Inn was a path that headed south past a large lagoon that floods w/ high tide. This morning a pair of Mottled Ducks were swimming near shore, a male and female. 



Just ahead of them were a group of shorebirds, including several Short-billed Dowitchers, Dunlin, Least and Semipalmated Sandpipers.








Farther ahead and across the lagoon a Wood Stork and Roseate Spoonbill were feeding along the now-illuminated shoreline. Though the distance was farther than I would prefer, I managed some nice long-distance digiscoped images of both birds. Stopping down almost 3 full-stops was necessary to avoid blown highlights.





Arriving at the beach I continued south and soon came upon lagoons and large numbers of shorebirds. A Marbled Godwit was feeding nearby, but flew off before I could get any pics. I wasn't disappointed, though. I was in search of plovers: Snowy, Piping, Semipalmated, Black-bellied, and Wilson's Plovers. Unfortunately the only birds in the vicinity were Semipalmated Plovers. Note the worn feathers and all-dark bill of the non-breeding adult bird (left). I took several images of these birds, as well as some Western Sandpipers and Black-bellied Plovers (mostly juvenile birds).











Sidenote: As I was just now flipping through my pics of the Semipalmated Plovers, I noticed this pic of a bird (at left). Notice the lighter forehead, broad white supercillium, and 'heavy' breastband. Compare w/ the bird above. Looking through Hayman, Marchant and Prater's Shorebirds, An Identification Guide, the bird appeared to be a very good match for a Common Ringed Plover(?). But those birds winter in Africa with only a few vagrant sightings in N. America. I then checked Paulson's Shorebirds of North America (The Photographic Guide) and found that this bird appeared to be a good match for Ringed Plover (again!). As I began to panic, I pulled out O'Brien, Crossley and Karlson's The Shorebirds Guide and found several plates of juvenile Semipalmated Plovers that match this bird in appearance. Apparently the young birds show variability in thickness of the breast band. I then checked other pics in this series and found that this bird was indeed a juvenile (note the faint, pale fringing on the feathers). I was also (unlucky) to find evidence of a faint yellow eye ring on this bird that is normally absent on Ringed Plovers. Lesson? A good series of photos can prevent you from making a fool of yourself. Whew!


As I scanned the lagoons I found foraging Semipalmated Sandpipers, Ruddy Turnstones, SanderlingsSnowy and Reddish Egrets









A pair of Short-billed Dowitchers were feeding nearby, so I grabbed a few pics of them w/ the D300 and continued to look for the pale plovers. Finally, a tiny Piping Plover was soon spotted and I took off after it (left). Wanting to get low to the ground to photograph it, I found myself soon covered with sand trying to maneuver camera/monopod, scope and tripod. But I managed to grab several frames of several birds feeding just feet away. Skies were overcast, and the sun was trying to break through the haze, so the birds really stood out against the gray-green muds of the lagoons. The short, all-black, stubby bill, dark, prominent eyes and bright orange legs differentiate Piping Plovers from Snowy Plovers. The bird at left appears to be a juvenile based on the faint, scaly appearance and pale fringing. However, I'm only basing this on comparison with this bird, which appears to be a worn adult. But, I could be wrong - the reference guides are a bit confusing on this matter.









More birds were feeding in the lagoons farther ahead, but it required some wading on my part. It was a bit comical trying to remove shoes, socks, and unzip pant-legs while holding camera, monopod, scope and tripod. But I managed and was soon knee-deep in swirling water trying to climb back up a steep sand bar. A Tri-colored Heron and Snowy Egret were blocking my path, so I had to stand and wait while they hunted minnows at my feet. But they soon moved and allowed me to clamber up onto shore. 


Once ashore I found a small flock of Ruddy Turnstones and Sanderlings roosting on the beach. Among them was a single Red Knot that went unnoticed until I reviewed my images.


Arriving at the next set of lagoons I spotted the first of several Snowy Plovers. Most of the birds appeared to be pale juveniles, but others, like the bird at left, appeared to be in breeding plumage. I spent a good time photographing these little speedsters as they zipped from one location to another.











Here is another juvenile bird. You can almost make out the fringing on the edges of the feathers. Other birds showed variations in plumage that were too difficult to sort out.








Digiscoping these birds was fun, and a challenge!

When they moved on I turned my attention to a small group of Sanderlings roosting in the muck.


I then started scanning the lagoons for Wilson's Plovers, but couldn't find any. Reason? They were all roosting out closer to the beach. So I turned my back to the lagoons and headed toward the sandy beach. In no time I was among dozens of Wilson's Plovers hunkered down midway between the ocean waters and the lagoons. I spent some time photographing and digiscoping them at ground level. They generally seemed unaffected by my presence, and made cooperative subjects while I photographed them w/ the D300, and then w/ the scope.










A few hundred photos later I moved onto the beach, where I found more Black-bellied Plovers quietly roosting among passing beachgoers. I was surprised at how much brown these birds retain (juveniles?). If it weren't for hearing their 'kee-r-wii' every once in a while, I'd have to start looking for American Golden Plovers among them.


Returning to the hotel I walked along the beach and watched dozens of Sandwich Terns diving for minnows. I passed the Sanderlings and Ruddy Turnstones that were roosting among several more Black-bellied Plovers, and the two herons that were still working the small inlet.

As I hiked the path back to the hotel I couldn't help but notice dozens of tiny pin holes in the sand. The small crab dens looked as if someone poked a flag pole all over the beach. If one was patient long enough they could spot the tiny crabs duck in and out of their little holes. The Wood Stork was feeding a bit closer and allowed a few pics w/ the D300.



I stopped just long enough to capture this BB Plover giving me a graceful and fond adieu. It was now time to head back to the airport and home. Great trip!


Fort Myers Beach, Lee, Florida, US
Nov 23, 2009 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
6.0 mile(s)
19 species

Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  2
Mottled Duck (Anas fulvigula)  2
Black-bellied Plover (Pluvialis squatarola)  12
Semipalmated Plover (Charadrius semipalmatus)  16
Piping Plover (Charadrius melodus)  1
Wilson's Plover (Anarhynchus wilsonia)  8
Snowy Plover (Anarhynchus nivosus)  4
Marbled Godwit (Limosa fedoa)  1
Short-billed Dowitcher (Limnodromus griseus)  3
Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)  12
Red Knot (Calidris canutus)  1
Sanderling (Calidris alba)  16
Dunlin (Calidris alpina)  4
Least Sandpiper (Calidris minutilla)  11
Western Sandpiper (Calidris mauri)  1     Cute little stubby-billed peep w/ short wing projection.
Wood Stork (Mycteria americana)  15
Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor)  2
Snowy Egret (Egretta thula)  7
Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42260498

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)