Imaginary Warblers - 24 Apr 2010


Dedicated to my nieces Terry and Mary! I made them get up at 7am on a rainy Saturday morning to drive to Crane Creek to look for warblers. We found none. They were less than pleased with my existence. We did see some Red-winged Blackbirds, Common Grackles, and Great Blue Herons in the marsh. Mostly we saw wet.

The boardwalk was a bit more productive. I heard Louisiana Waterthrush, Ruby- and Golden-crowned Kinglets, Yellow-rumped Warblers, and Palm Warblers. I was able to get some nice closeups of House Wrens singing next to the boardwalk, and saw several Winter Wrens scampering through the underbrush. Hermit Thrushes were abundant, and I did see a first pair of Wood Thrushes kicking leaves in the distance.


I spent some time chasing a pair of Ruby-crowned Kinglets. One male flared his red cap at one point, but I couldn't get a clean shot through the thickets. I could only manage a peek-a-boo shot after he had calmed down (the other male had left). Brown Thrashers rounded out the highlights for the morning.


We salvaged the morning with a stop at the Toledo Museum of Art and a Sushi lunch, so I'm off the hit-list...

Magee Marsh--Boardwalk, Lucas, Ohio, US
Apr 24, 2010 7:00 AM - 9:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Terry and Mary Chapp and me; rain and more rain. The girls were not happy w/ Uncle Jerry
13 species

Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  3
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Corthylio calendula)  4
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  2
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  2
Winter Wren (Troglodytes hiemalis)  2
Brown Thrasher (Toxostoma rufum)  2
Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus)  2
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  2
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  6
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  4
Louisiana Waterthrush (Parkesia motacilla)  1
Palm Warbler (Setophaga palmarum)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  2

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165411807

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)