Metzger's Marsh, OH - 26 Nov 2010


Robin and I drove down to Metzger's Marsh in NW Ohio this morning in search of a juvenile Sabine's Gull that was found just a few days earlier.  I was hoping to get some pics of this rare Lake Erie visitor.

While Robin (wisely) stayed in the car I headed out to the end of the fishing pier at ~9 am and braved the cold, gusting winds.  Thousands of Ring-billed and Herring Gulls were flying and swimming on the lake to the west of the pier, and a massive feeding frenzy was occurring just off the end of the pier.  A Gizzard Shad die-off had occurred, and hundreds of 6-8" shad were floating along the edge of the pier and out into the lake for easy pickings.

A Bonaparte's Gull passed just a few feet from the pier to my left and allowed some nice photos up close as it battled the winds. 



A second-cycle American Herring Gull followed by shortly thereafter.  Note the bi-colored pinkish bill, two-toned wings and dark tail band of this bird.


Compare with a second-cycle Ring-billed Gull that also showed two-toned wings, but w/o white spotting (mirrors) on the P9 and P10 primaries.  Its tail is all-white and its bill is bicolored yellow.


I was soon joined by a couple of Ohio birds (sorry, I forgot your names...) and we scoped the masses looking for the Sabine's Gull.  As I scanned the horizon I came upon a 'black-headed' small gull that I was sure would be the Sabine's.  Unfortunately, it was so far away and bobbing in and out of view that we couldn't get confirming views.


Allen Chartier showed up a bit later and joined us in the cold.  A Great Black-backed Gull swam near shore and provided nice looks, as did this 2nd-cycle Glaucous Gull.  Note the pale yellow eye and two-toned heavy bill on this white-winged gull.  When it banked several times we could see smudging on its back that would help provide some additional clues to its age (1st cycle are almost bleached white?).




Our attention was then directed to a dark-headed gull swimming about 50 yds. out on the lake.  It looked like the same bird we were scoping earlier, and finally it took off and joined the feeding frenzy on the end of the pier.  I was able to get quite a few pics of the bird, but had no clue as to its identity. 


It wasn't 'till I got home and looked at my photos that I realized it was just a 'stained' Ring-billed Gull.  Note the small white mirror on the P9 primary and the larger white mirror spot on the P10 primary that is diagnostic for Ring-billed Gulls.  Though it was difficult to see at times, you could also see the yellow eyes (w/o white orbitals) and yellow bill w/ black band that was also found on Ring-bills.  It confirmed two things: I didn't see the Sabine's Gull on the horizon earlier, and I wasn't looking at another rare bird...




I left the pier at about 10:45 am and headed for a warm car.  I would later find out from Allen that the Sabine's Gull arrived just 10 minutes later and stayed near the pier for the next hour or so.  So the story of my life continues...  Oh, well, maybe tomorrow.

Metzger Marsh Wildlife Area, Lucas, Ohio, US
Nov 26, 2010 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Checklist Comments:     Looking for reported Sabine's Gull
3 species

Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis)  1200     Gizzard shad die-off brought in thousands of gulls. Estimated by 100's
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus)  800
Glaucous Gull (Larus hyperboreus)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165000855

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)