Saw-Whet Owls @ LEMP! - 13 Nov 2010


A pair of day-roosting Saw-Whet Owls were found today by Don Sherwood and Rodney Laura.  Lucky for me Robin and I had just arrived at the Detroit River Hawk Watch when Rob Payne told me where the birds were.  We caught up the Don and Rodney and were able to get some great shots from up close. 

Both birds were on the foot path just left of the bike trail across the street from the Marshland Museum.  My Nikon D300 / Sigma 400mm f/5.6 stopped working (again) so I had to digiscope the birds that were no more than 10 feet away (and at eye level). 


Always exercise caution when viewing these and any other day-roosting owls as they are vulnerable and easily disturbed.




Too adorable!

Lake Erie Metropark, Wayne, Michigan, US
Nov 13, 2010 1:00 PM - 1:30 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Checklist Comments:     A pair of day-roosting Saw-Whet Owls were found today by Don Sherwood and Rodney Laura.  Lucky for me Robin and I had just arrived at the Detroit River Hawk Watch when Rob Payne told me where the birds were.  We caught up the Don and Rodney and were able to get some great shots from up close.
1 species

Northern Saw-whet Owl (Aegolius acadicus)  2     Both birds were on the foot path just left of the bike trail across the street from the Marshland Museum.  My Nikon D300 / Sigma 400mm f/5.6 stopped working (again) so I had to digiscope the birds that were no more than 10 feet away (and at eye level).

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S42375434

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)