UP w/ Snow Buntings! - 06 Nov 2010


Robin and I drove to the Upper Peninsula this morning with the option of either going to Grand Marais to look for the Anna's Hummingbirds, or to Taquamenon Falls to get in some photography.  Since I had the option to choose we were headed in the direction of Grand Marais.

Following US-2 west toward M-117 we turned northward on Brevort Co. Rd. and immediately started seeing small flocks of Snow Buntings scattering from the roadside ahead of us.  We reconnected with US-123 N and started heading toward GM when a hovering Rough-legged Hawk drifted to the west side of the road.  Unfortunately the late morning sun provided poor shooting conditions, so I opted to watch it w/ the binoculars instead.

Sand Dunes Cross Country Ski Trail, Mackinac, Michigan, US
Nov 6, 2010 11:00 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
2 species

Rough-legged Hawk (Buteo lagopus)  1
Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)  12

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165058377

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

As we reached our turnoff for Grand Marais the GPS still listed us as 2 hours away, and being late in the morning we decided to go to the falls.  Entering Whitefish Bay we spotted a nice fly-by Pileated Woodpecker and more Snow Buntings.

Just before arriving at the Lower Falls a small flock of Red Crossbills appeared in the road ahead.  I slowed the car down and watched as they flushed to the trees to the southeast.  Unfortunately the sun was directly behind them, so all I could do was hope to get some record shots.  A lovely pair of red male birds were perched high up in the trees, while several more females were in the next tree.



I took a few photos of the female, but the glare was horrible.  I was lucky to get this shot off before they all took off for deeper vegetation.  


Just up the road a Ruffed Grouse was along the roadside, but I couldn't stop to photograph it.

Tahquamenon--Lone Pine Rd., Chippewa, Michigan, US
Nov 6, 2010 12:00 PM - 12:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
3 species

Pileated Woodpecker (Dryocopus pileatus)  1
Red Crossbill (Loxia curvirostra)  6
Snow Bunting (Plectrophenax nivalis)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165058896

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)

At the falls we found another Ruffed Grouse posing in the open trees, but my Nikon D300 and Sigma 400 mm f/5.6 decided to stop working.  The dreaded FEE error.  Try as I might, I could not get the lens to seat properly to get rid of the error.  Normally this error occurs when the lens is not set at its smallest aperture (f/22).  In my case the lens was not seating properly, so I was hosed.  I could only watch the grouse move on.


I fought with the camera for the next half-hour, getting it to work momentarily before triggering the error again.  I managed a few photos of the falls, and the amber-colored water before the error kicked in, again. Frustrated, we decided to call off GM and head toward Whitefish Point.  On the way out we scattered a small flock of Pine Grosbeaks.

Tahquamenon Falls SP--Lower Falls, Chippewa, Michigan, US
Nov 6, 2010 12:30 PM - 12:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.1 mile(s)
2 species

Ruffed Grouse (Bonasa umbellus)  1
Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator)  6

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165059291

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)



At the point I headed behind the gift shop to look for a digiscoping opportunity at the feeders.  A pair of Red Squirrels were nearby, while a small flock of American Goldfinches were the only other birds around.


Just as I was about to photograph a posing Blue Jay, a female Pine Grosbeak appeared in the trees behind the feeder.  As I moved slowly along the ground to digiscope it a flock of Pine Siskins came in to the thistle feeders.  An easier target, I got some nice closeups from about 10'.


As I returned to the grosbeak a flock of four Snow Buntings flew in and landed 15' in front of me.  One bird and I had a staring contest while I slowly tried to get the Nikon working again.  I had to remove the lens a couple of times, but finally got it working long enough to grab several frames before the lens error kicked back in.


The Snow Buntings proceeded to begin feeding in the grass just a few feet away, and ignored my presence. This gave me a wonderful opportunity to get some nice digiscoped portrait shots from 15 - 20' away. 

 




The RBGB returned and was now on the ground nearby, so I was able to get a few photos of it from about 25'.  


Meanwhile, several White-crowned Sparrows and White-throated Sparrows arrived and fed in the grass to my left.

I would miss getting the chance to see the Anna's Hummingbirds, but certainly enjoyed the consolation prizes! 

Whitefish Point, Chippewa, Michigan, US
Nov 6, 2010 1:00 PM - 1:15 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.2 mile(s)
7 species

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  1
Pine Grosbeak (Pinicola enucleator)  1
Pine Siskin (Spinus pinus)  6
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  4
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)  3
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  1     female at feeder behind gift shop. Digiscoped image shows brown back, white color, thick bill, striped head, and buffy chest w/ streaks.

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S165060609

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)