Pt. Mouillee and LEMP - 20 Nov 2011


I took advantage of the sunny weather this Saturday morning and headed down to Pt. Mouillee and Lake Erie Metropark.

First stop was the corner of Reaume and Roberts Rd. I spent a half-hour or so photographing the American Tree Sparrows from inside the car with the Nikon D300s and 300/2.8 VR II. The birds were a bit skittish, but soon came close enough for some nice captures from 15 feet away.



I was pleasantly surprised when a Fox Sparrow popped out of the phragmites and fed from about 20 feet away. This one had a complete tail, unlike the Fox Sparrow from a week ago that was missing its tail.




An adult White-crowned Sparrow also made an appearance, and seemed to stay near the Fox Sparrow. I managed a few nice captures from about 25 feet away.




The party was soon joined by a pair of Dark-eyed Juncos. First, a lighter-colored female, then a much darker male bird appeared.




Probably the closest bird of the morning was this cooperative Song Sparrow that perched just 5 feet away and allowed me to fire away as it considered my presence.



A pair of circling Red-tailed Hawks caused everyone to scatter, so I took my queue to head over to Lake Erie Metropark.

Stoneco/Rockwood Quarry, Monroe, Michigan, US
Nov 20, 2011 8:00 AM - 8:30 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
6 species

Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  2
American Tree Sparrow (Spizelloides arborea)  6
Fox Sparrow (Passerella iliaca)  1
Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)  2
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  1

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S164439155

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)


The trail behind the Marshland Museum was a bit quiet.  White-throated Sparrows were active in the underbrush, but otherwise things were slow.  It was not until I crossed the large boardwalk that I came upon a small flock of Golden-crowned Kinglets foraging in the brush alongside the trail.  I had the Better Beamer on the flash unit, and it helped capture these fleet-footed little critters as they hopped from branch to branch chasing down insects.



A Brown Creeper was among the flock, and was a challenge to photograph as it ducked behind the trunks of trees as it climbed upward looking for insects.  I see so few of these birds lately.  A Tufted Titmouse was another 'rare' bird for me...


As I chased it a Black-capped Chickadee popped out and begged me to take its picture.  I obliged... 


This White-throated Sparrow was one of the few that came out into the open, so I took my opportunity to capture it from about 30 feet away. 


Lake Erie Metropark--Marshlands Nature Center, Wayne, Michigan, US
Nov 20, 2011 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
5 species

Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  2
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  4
Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)  1
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  3

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/checklist/S164439414

This report was generated automatically by eBird v3 (https://ebird.org/home)